We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most authentic Scottish meal?

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Topic
Most authentic Scottish meal?

We love to visit different countries and try their food. Any suggestions on a certain Scottish meal we "must try"? Thanks,Ron

deeside scotland
Level Contributor
9 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Most authentic Scottish meal?

On the Stovies Topic - I make mine with left over lamb and add a little milk. To serve with always milk and oatcakes and beetrrt.

deeside scotland
Level Contributor
9 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Most authentic Scottish meal?

sorry, beetroot!!

Hamilton, United...
Level Contributor
698 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Most authentic Scottish meal?

I may as well have my say on this topic as I do like my grub and reckon growing up in the North East and now living in the West I can add a bit to both angles.

Stovies - West coasters can keep their sausages. If meat is added it has to be brisket. Never sausages. Heathens.

Deep fried Mars Bars - Sadly these are not a myth and they are not a tourist invention or "weegie". This monster was forced upon us by a Chip shop in Stonehaven back in the nineties who really should have known better. I have never tasted one but it must taste truly horrible.

Salt and Sauce / Salt and vinegar - Salt and sauce is an Edinburgh think IMO. Growing up around Montrose and Stonehaven, we never got offered sauce with our chips. It was always vinegar. I'm with the Glaswegians on this one.

Anyway, why can i not get a mock chop in a chip shop on the west coast?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
576 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Most authentic Scottish meal?

Cullen skink is lovely - soup made from smoked fish

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Most authentic Scottish meal?

What about a Glasgow salad?

= Chips from the chip shop!!

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Most authentic Scottish meal?

Depends on the meal of course!

If it is breakfast, then two things you should have are a warm buttery rowie (a sort of squashed round aberdonian croissant) and a lovely bowl of porridge with some fruit (stewed apple maybe, or banana) and whatever you need to sweeten it, if anything.

Back in the days when I ate meat, I'd have said a good dinner would be homemade scotch broth, followed by poached salmon, new potatoes (preferably jersey royals just out of the garden) and salad, and then a homemade gooseberry fool.

For a nice snack, some really good cheese, some stockans oatcakes and some nibbles.

Its half past 10 and now I'm getting hungry....

Lancashire, UK
Level Contributor
91 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Most authentic Scottish meal?

And for a between-meal snack, Tunnocks Wafer biscuits! Yum!

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: Most authentic Scottish meal?

I really appreciate everyone's input. We can't wait to arrive to try out all your suggestions. Thanks a lot. Ron

Gods Country...
Level Contributor
763 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Most authentic Scottish meal?

Intrestingly the whole deep fried thing was featured in an Anthony Bourdain - No Reservations show - when he visited chip shops in Glasgow(Holy City) and Edinburger.

The Glasgow chippie would basically deep fry anything he sold - including a deep fried pizza battered on the topping side(if that makes sense)

Deep fried pizza feature west to central Scotland.

Bourdain actually had the chippie deep fry a pickled egg and pronounced it a dish he would consider serving in his restuarant!!!

As for stovies - more recipies than I've had hot meals - all claiming to be the "only" way to do it - with and without meat - lamb, links, square sausage, beef - carrots(Hamilton only) anyway however they are made can't beat a bit of brown sauce on them.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
193 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Most authentic Scottish meal?

Deep fried mars bars are actually not as bad as they sound. They are definitely not as bad as they look!!! (Just think about it) Edinburgh chippies may have now gone posh but when I was younger a deepfried Pizza was common. If you were lucky they took of the cellophane.

Joking aside, white pudding should appeal to tourists. Real haggis from a butcher or a decent restaurant is actually very tasty. How about Arbroath smokies or Forfar bridies?

For breakfast, porridge, tattie scones, fruit pudding and square (Lorne) sausage with bacon and egg would mean lunch (Lived down south for a few years)could be skipped.