We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Witchery or secret garden restaurant

menorca
Level Contributor
216 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Witchery or secret garden restaurant

Hi im looking to book one of these restaurants for our last night, which is more romantic? i love candle lit places, this may be a stupid question but is the garden outside as i feel it will be a bit fresh in march!!

Ta

S x

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,482 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Witchery or secret garden restaurant

No the "garden" is part of the same restaurant, just a different part of the building. The Witchery part is more velvet/ gothic in atmosphere whereas the garden part is more airy . Up to you which you prefer....

f2s
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
1,133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Witchery or secret garden restaurant

Dont expect too much.These are money machine restaurants but the castle is near by!

I would eat at "Martin Wishart" (0131 553 3557)on the historic shore quay down at old Leith.Get a taxi to the Whiskey Society bar at the "vaults" first then walk to the restaurant.It is expensive food and drink but the best.Then stroll along by the boats , and taxi home.

Or eat below the bar in the candle lit "The Vintner's Room " (0131 554 6767) good value.

You can do the castle area my night during your stay.

It will be "fresh" most of the year !!

uk
Level Contributor
137 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Witchery or secret garden restaurant

Don't go there, food is average to say the least and way overpriced. For a little more money try Michelin starred Number One at The Balmoral. Absolutely fantastic, top class service, food, the works, highly recommended. Canapes to start, fantastic selection of bread, 2 amuse-bouche, home made chocolates with coffee. All we got at The Witchery was an overcooked steak. Maybe they thought I wouldn't notice in the candlelight!!

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,482 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Witchery or secret garden restaurant

I would agree that the Number One at Balmoral has better food and service for the money, the only place the Witchery scores higher is the ambiance.

North Berwick...
Destination Expert
for East Lothian
Level Contributor
734 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Witchery or secret garden restaurant

I agree with the posts which recommend either Vintner's Room or Martin Wishart's. Witchery is overpriced and simply not in the same class.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Witchery or secret garden restaurant

Agree that martin wishart's is ace - or if you feel like going veggie - David Bann is very good :)

7. Re: Witchery or secret garden restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 13:15