We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gas prices

Germany
Level Contributor
69 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Gas prices

What are the gas prices running in and outside of the city? I'm trying to decide if I want to rent a car.

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Gas prices

Diesel is £1.16 up here in Perthshire too.

The petrol stations are very busy up here as panic buying starts....

I filled up yesterday and it was really busy and no I wasn't panic buying - I would have had to fill up anyway.

Ronaldo - I wish I could use a bike too but there are too many d*mn hills - plus the fact I have a 24 mile commute each way!!!

The bus service is a joke...

Isle of Skye, NW...
Level Contributor
413 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Gas prices

And in NW Scotland:-

Diesel £1.21 - £1.31 a litre

Petrol £1.09 - £1.21 a litre

Thats about $8.30 a US gallon for you Yanks :D

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Gas prices

I see that there are problems at the Grangemouth refinery which is apparently going to have an effect (and not to our advantage...) on petrol prices in Scotland and North of England.

I'm afraid that visitors from US are going to find UK a very expensive place to visit....

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,763 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Gas prices

I'm driving from London to Scotland in a couple of weeks. I'll probably fill up at the border and fill some jerrycans to tide me over, a la visitors to Zimbabwe.

Or maybe train and hire some bikes....ho hum.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,169 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Gas prices

Indeed, welcome to the third world.

Drove around for ages last night trying to find a garage with unleaded. When I did find one there was a queue up the road. Managed to get filled up though.

Apparently, this should all be over by the weekend and it was just panic buying caused by media hysteria.

*rolls eyes*

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Gas prices

Yes; I'm driving in a few days time from north west England to Leven then Strathpeffer and Dornoch then 400 mile drive home. Also hoping to tour around from Strathpeffer and Dornoch.

For those old enough, I remember the panic buying of sugar; my cupboard was full as was everyone else's but everyone kept buying it when available.

Like Peter, I'll now be towing a trailer full of black cans full of diesel (can always sell it to the locals!).

AND why is (greener) diesel more expensive than petrol (gas) if the Govt wants us to go Green?

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Gas prices

The petrol stations are still busy up here too...

A colleague here tells me that her local garage in Broughty Ferry is out of unleaded.

This is all unnecessary - the operators are saying it takes weeks to shut the plant down safely - how long does it take it to shut down in an emergency?

The media is to blame - headlines like 'Scotland will be out of petrol by Friday' doesn't help matters...

*rolls eyes also*

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Gas prices

One "good" thing about all the publicity, is that it might make "someone" do something. As you may guess, as this is happening way up north of Watford, there's not much mention of it on "national" TV and radio.

Of course, that may change as the riots break out and all "you lot up there" paint your faces blue and start speaking with Australian accents

Hamilton, United...
Level Contributor
698 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Gas prices

In the immortal words of William "D'day mate" Wallace....

"you may take our lives... but you'll never take our BMW's..."

Scotland
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: Gas prices

I was a little concerned that problems with fuel might mean less passing trade for accommodation providers, or indeed cancellation of advance bookings. Thus far I haven't experienced any problems and no-one has cancelled. I wonder what the story might be for others.