We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Westbrook, Maine
Level Contributor
33 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
money

hey all, question again.

looking on xe.com at currency exchange rates. they list the GBP, but they also list a scottish pound as SCP. i'm guessing it's the same thing just printed at the royal bank of scotland rather than in england yes?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: money

In Scotland there are three banks that print their own banknotes. The Royal bank of Scotland, The Bank of Scotland and the Clydesdale Bank, all three along with Bank of England notes will be acceptable anywhere in Scotland.

Technically and legally only Bank of England notes are "legal tender" anywhere in the UK so you will probably find English people reluctant to take notes from Scotland.

Its just a lack of education.

/Scottish paranoia

Gods Country...
Level Contributor
763 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: money

Allow me to clarify this with the attached from the HBOS website

"Scottish Banknotes are legal currency – i.e. they are approved by the UK Parliament. However, Scottish banknotes are not legal tender, not even in Scotland. Interestingly, no notes from any bank - including the Bank of England – are legal tender in Scotland. Only the £1 and £2 coins are legal tender there. HM Treasury determine which notes are legal tender."

Personally I travel all over the UK on business and pleasure - only time I've had a Scottish note questioned was in a candy shop in Cornwall were an recently arrived EEC worker had not seen one before. The manageress very quickly assured her of the validity of the note and business was done.

Basically you'll have no problems with any notes - anywhere!!!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,472 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: money

Once you leave the UK it can be difficult if not impossible to exchange Scottish banknotes and even if you can you may get a lower rate than for Bank of England notes.

So it's a good idea to get rid of all Scottish banknotes before you leave the UK.

One way of doing it is to use one of the few ATMs that dispense Bank of England notes & use tat as spending money for the last couple of days in Scotland.

I know of 3 where I've been able to get Bank of England notes on a regular basis

National Westminster at the St Andrews Square end of George Street, Barclays on George Street where it crosses Frederick Street and HSBC on the corner of Princes Street & Frederick Street.

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,839 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: money

One of my friends got a lower rate for her Scottish pounds than my other friend who had English notes on a recent trip to Amsterdam.

I no longer argue and just make sure I have English notes - saves any hassle!

In Scotland we are used to having many different varieties of bank notes so it is second nature just to identify notes by colour.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,345 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: money

if you are a golfing fan look out for the Jack Nicklaas £5 note.still a few about.

nicklaus.com/nicklaus_news/news071205b.php

6. Re: money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 09:16