We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner 22nd August

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
173 reviews
Save Topic
Dinner 22nd August

I have been given the task of fixing up a birthday dinner for Friday 22nd August for six people, and two joining later (after ballet)... we are all staying in the Dean Village area, the ballet is at the hmmmm Kings I think...

Any suggestions for somewhere reasonably handy for all, and bookable which I think can be a problem during the Festival, and nice and classy without completely breaking the bank.

We are middle aged not teens and twenties and fairly discerning...

Thank you in advance for your helpful suggestions!

Our holiday in South of France earlier this month was completely enhanced by Tripadvisor suggestions, so I am confident we will be fixed up courtesy of this website.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
998 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner 22nd August

Penny - some of the city's better restaurants have formed an association. Have a look at their website - I'm sure you'll find something there to suit your requirements. But hurry - as you say, the Festival is in full swing and you'll need to be sharp to get a table.

http://www.edinburghrestaurants.co.uk/

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,522 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner 22nd August

no real advice as to resturants but the list NBClaymore has given you will be good.

Avoid places on the RoyalMile and its environs and things should be easier (this area is truely manic at Festival Time)

lots of resturants of every ethic variation at the top of Leith walk and this are should be a lot quieter ( though not quiet)

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
717 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner 22nd August

If you want to stick to near Dean Village there is Howies at Alva Street. It might even be BYOB - http://www.howies.uk.com/

Petit Paris on Queensferry Street - http://www.petitparis-restaurant.co.uk/

La P'tite Folie on Randolph Place - http://www.laptitefolie.co.uk/

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner 22nd August

As well as other suggestions above if you want to stay around the west end (Kings Theatre is at Tollcross/Bruntsfield on main road that leads to the West End of the city) A Room at the West End in William St would fit the bill; see http://www.aroomin.com/thewestend/ - this restaurant also operates BYOB.

There are also a few new eateries at Fountainbridge which is a redeveloped canal basin quite near to the Kings; I think these are larger establishments though and may be a bit noisy if busy.

One of the aforementioned Top of Leith Walk restaurants is No3 Royal Terrace; although I have never been there I have heard good reports and have been to it's very good sister restaurant out in the country. Web address www.no3royalterrace.com

Do try to book early though.....

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,231 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dinner 22nd August

Can second A Room in the West End and No 3 Royal Terrace, the latter I would say if you are more discerning...Got all excited there when I saw "Dinner 22nd August" - thought you were inviting us all out for a meal.

Have a wonderful evening!

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dinner 22nd August

I would support the recommendation of La P'tit Folie in Randolph place, great french food at reasonable prices, lovely building and atmosphere, lots of other bars in the area for before / after. We went there last year for my birthday lunch - the same day as your friend's!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dinner 22nd August

Wow! Thanks for all the help, La P'tite Folie sounds ideal, particularly as you can BYOW, which at the rate this lot drink will help keep the price down. We don't have that nice tradition here, presumably there is corkage charged and they supply the glasses (and corkscrew?)

Will put it to 'the committee' at the weekend.

Thanks again.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dinner 22nd August

I don't remember that La P'tite Folie allowed BYOW, better check direct with the restaurant before making your final decision if it is a key factor.

London
Level Contributor
1,671 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dinner 22nd August

Hi Penny.

It is Room at the West End that is BYO, and is on our list of restaurants to try on our next trip but haven't been there yet.

Howies is excellent and has a private dining room which might be of interest?

Presumably you've checked the restaurant reviews for ideas......listed high in the left-hand column?

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dinner 22nd August

Thanks for all the help, also had a look at 'The List' mentioned elsewhere and found you can put in BYOB which could appeal. Will let you know where we ended up and how it went...