We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh - Glasgow

Parma, Italy
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh - Glasgow

If I come to Glasgow (Prestwick) by Ryanair flight and choose to sleep in Edinburgh, is it possible?

Or it's better to sleep in Glasgow anycase and during the day visit Edinburgh? The train tickets are expensive? At the end of the August, how is the weather there?

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,277 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh - Glasgow

Train fare is £9.70 single after 0915 in the morning and not between 1630 and 1830.

Trains run every 15 mins through the day and take approx 50 minutes between Glasgow Queen Street and Edinburgh Waverley.

You can get a 3 day Central Scotland Rail Rover, valid after 0915 for £31. This covers rail travel between Edinburgh, Glasgow Queen Street, North Berwick, Bathgate, Dunblane, Bridge of Allan, Stirling, Alloa, the Fife Circle, Markinch, Falkirk and all intermediate stations. Also valid between Edinburgh Waverley, Brunstane and Newcraighall.

Includes unlimited travel on Glasgow Underground.

Weather at the end of August is likely to be warm and sunny. But it could also be cold and rainy. Glasgow is warmer and wetter, Edinburgh is colder and drier.

Parma, Italy
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh - Glasgow

The Flight arrival at Glasgow Prestwick should be at 19,00 (7pm). How can I get from the Prestwick Airport to Edinburgh? Maybe it's better to sleep in Glasgow then, because i will travel with 4 years old child? I suppose, if I decide to sleep in Glasgow, I should use the taxi to get in the hotel?

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh - Glasgow

Train from Prestwick airport station runs to Glasgow (about one hour).

Beware that end August/beginning September is the Edinburgh Festival and the city is crowded. Accommodation will be difficult to fins and very expensive.

Parma, Italy
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh - Glasgow

You suggest to sleep in Glasgow?

Express Holiday Inn Glasgow Riverside is in the center?

ifi
London, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edinburgh - Glasgow

If you arrive in Glasgow airport at 19:00, say wait 30min for your suitcase and then use the train to the city center (1hour) and another train to Edinburgh (another hour) you should be arriving in Edinburgh Waverley around 21:30-22:00. (Anyone knows any other way from Glasgow Prestwick to Edinburgh???)

If you were alone I would definitely suggest that, as arriving at 22:00 is not that late. However, given that you have a 4-year old you should see if it’s late for the child.

Also, agree with BuddyLancs: August and September are extremely busy months because of the Festival so pretty much everything is booked well in advance (and everything’s too expensive as well). So do consider that as well when you make your choice.

How long are you here for? If it’s just for one night do stay in Glasgow, it’s easier. If you’re coming for more days I would choose Edinburgh, even if that means arriving late on your first night.

Weather here in aug-sep is much cooler than in Italy so be prepared for everything!

Hope that helps!

Parma, Italy
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edinburgh - Glasgow

I wanted to stay for a week, from 25th till 31 of August. I think it's better to sleep in Glasgow. And consider 3 days train ticket...

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Edinburgh - Glasgow

Remember you can get half price rail travel from Glasgow Prestwick on production of your ticket/boarding pass. Children under 5 years old travel free on public transport.

Given it's during the Edinburgh Festical staying in Glasgow and traveling through to Edinburgh is probably a good idea. Glasgow is also a good base for trips to Loch Lomand, Islands of Arran/Bute and a trip to Stirling ... etc

You might be best with a hotel nearer Queen Street Station e.g. Holiday Inn Express Theatreland, Millenium Hotel, Travel Inn George Street, there also may be accomodation available at the University of Strathclyde's city centre campus village (

www.rescat.strath.ac.uk/accommodation.html).

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
998 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Edinburgh - Glasgow

ifi - he's not arriving at Glasgow airport but at Glasgow Prestwick, which is in Ayrshire and is quite a long way from Glasgow. For one night, there's no point in going to Edinburgh, even if you could get a room during the Festival. I'm not even sure it's worth going to Glasgow at that time of the evening - you'd probably be better looking for accommodation in Ayr.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
998 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Edinburgh - Glasgow

I should clarify, my suggestion is for the first night only then choose either Glasgow or Edinburgh for the rest of your stay. I agree with Buddylancs though - you'll probably find it very difficult to find accommodation in Edinburgh because of the Festival.

Parma, Italy
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Edinburgh - Glasgow

The distance from Prestwick Airport to Glasgow?