We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visitin Edinburgh at the end of August

Puerto Rico
4 posts
Save Topic
Visitin Edinburgh at the end of August

Hello Everyone!

My husband and I are going to Edinburgh for the very first time at the end of August. I would like to know where can we stay on a budget?? Are the B&B a nice place?? Every place that I find is so expensive...I know is festival time, but he have a conference to go so there is no change on the travel dates.

Any advice will be apreciatted!!!

Thanks

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visitin Edinburgh at the end of August

BAD time to go for economy or even accommodation at any price. It's THE Edinburgh Festival when half the world are visiting also.

PS Love PR and all you PRs BUT NOT the driving!

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visitin Edinburgh at the end of August

Further; is the conference in Edinburgh centre or perhaps outside? I'm amazed at "idiot" people running a conference at that time of the year. Have they suggested conf hotels?

I think you have to stay outside. Glasgow is "only" 45 minutes and 45 miles away by VERY regular trains - city centre to city centre. However, lots of people do that !

There are other smaller towns closer but they won't have that many hotels/B&Bs.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,834 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visitin Edinburgh at the end of August

Only conference around end of August I can think of is the TV Festival - and that's been going for over 30 years

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visitin Edinburgh at the end of August

Hi AlanR; That's the one where Alan Yentob blows his gob?

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
582 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visitin Edinburgh at the end of August

Try the Innkeepers Lodge website. They have a place near Edinburgh - Queensferry I think. Depends where the conference is. Also try Premier Travel Inn and Travelodge. They are relatively low cost motel type places that provide reliable enough accomodation and usually have enough capacity.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visitin Edinburgh at the end of August

I noticed today that the new Novotel hotel out at Hermiston Gate is open. You would need a car but it's a brand new hotel and I think Novotel are a relatively inexpensive chain.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visitin Edinburgh at the end of August

Novotel could be a good idea and I don't think a car would be really needed. It is a bit of a walk to the nearest bus, but the Edinburgh Park station is a short walk away and from there you could get a train into the centre of Edinburgh in about 5 minutes.

Rothesay, United...
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visitin Edinburgh at the end of August

are you around P-R girl? We're trying to help and getting no feedback from you?

Puerto Rico
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Visitin Edinburgh at the end of August

Sorry!!! I been without internet......

Thanks to all of you!!

The conference is the Faraday Discussion at the Heriot-Watt University. I have no idea why they did it at this time of the year. We are staying at the Novotel Park for the days of the conference, but we need another hotel for 3 days before the conference.

They didn't have accommodations.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visitin Edinburgh at the end of August

Hi Have you tried putting your destination and dates into travelsupermarket.com and then checking the options out on Tripadvisor? We have stayed at a very nice B&B - www.braemar-edinburgh.co.uk. There is a very good bus service from it. Enjoy your trip.