We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What restaurant for birthday near Edinburgh Castle?

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
574 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What restaurant for birthday near Edinburgh Castle?

I am looking for a moderate resaurant with basic food - fish & steaks, etc. to celebrate a birthday while we are in Edinburgh. We arre staying at Apartment by Castle on Johnston Terrance and would like to walk - though two of us don't walk well and would prefer no hills. I looked at the Witchery but it has had bad reviews on TA recently and it is very pricy for us. My map shows Gennaro Ristorante and the Hub as being close by? Are they any good? What do you suggest? Not into really spicy food.

Thanks

Jean

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
59 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What restaurant for birthday near Edinburgh Castle?

You are probably wise to avoid the Witchery in my view.

Less than £30 per head

If I was on a budget I'd eat at the filhhouuse cinema on Lothian Road. It's not really a restaurent in that there are no waiters - order your food at the bar, someone brings it to you. What they serve is OK, popular with students. Lots of vegetarian stuff so may be not to your taste.

Around £30 per head

Try Bar Roma http://www.bar-roma.co.uk/

Cheap and cheerful pizeria, fast service, nice enough.

Both of these places are accessible via streets that I don't think are too steep, or a short taxi ride.

Around £45 per head

Over in George St 'The Dome' serves simple food and good steaks, nothing too fussy. The music can be annoying, you'll find a review here on tripadvisor from me.

The restaurant at Harvey Nicols at the end of George St is good and again serves dishes of high quality. To be honest, it would be my choice based on what you've said but can be pricy.

www.harveynichols.com/output/Page145.asp

Both of these places can easily be reached by taxi, I'd estimate £6 from where you are staying.

edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What restaurant for birthday near Edinburgh Castle?

There is a very wide choice of restaurants in the city centre, around Johnston Terrace so you can look at their websites plus check out their reviews to find one which best suits your requirements.

Close by in Victoria Street are

Howies www.howies.uk.com/edinburgh_victoria

Maison Bleue www.list.co.uk/place/100242-maison-bleue

The Grain Store www.grainstore-restaurant.co.uk (Can be slightly more expensive than the others but good food)

Victoria Street is on a hill between George IV Bridge and Grassmarket) but the restaurants are not far away from Johnston Terrace.

At the bottom of Victoria Street at the Grassmarket is the Mussel and Steak Bar www.musselandsteakbar.com

and whilst the Grassmarket offers a number of restaurant choices it is a steep uphill walk from there to Johnston Terrace which may not suit as you prefer no hills.

On George IV Bridge are

Vittorias www.vittoriarestaurant.com

The Outsider Restaurant www.restaurant-guide.com

Herbe Bistro www.herbebistro.co.uk

In Merchant Street (between George IV Bridge and the Grassmarket) is

Merchants www.list.co.uk/place/100349-merchants

A slightly further walk away but worth considering would be Wedgwood in Canongate (Part of Royal Mile) www.toptable.co.uk/venues/restaurants/…

Creelers in Hunter Square (Just off Royal Mile) www.creelers.co.uk

Jacksons in the High Street (Part of Royal Mile) www.jacksons-restaurant.co.uk

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
7,482 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What restaurant for birthday near Edinburgh Castle?

One of my favourite restaurants in the city is Amber - it's part of the Whisky Heritage Centre and is close to your accommodation near the Castle. It's less expensive than the Witchery and is lovely for a special occasion.

www.amber-restaurant.co.uk

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What restaurant for birthday near Edinburgh Castle?

Maxie's. Fits every aspect of your requirements. Moderately priced, very varied menu, and right on Johnstone Terrace.

See: http://www.maxies.co.uk/

Agree with the poster above who recommended the Grain Store - it is a very special place, but I'm not sure I would describe it as moderate. (Although their set price menu might fit the bill).

http://www.grainstore-restaurant.co.uk

Seattle
Level Contributor
574 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What restaurant for birthday near Edinburgh Castle?

Thanks all - I got hungry looking at the menus. Haven't decided yet - but several really looked good and in our price range. I leave for the airportr in two hours !!!

Jean

6. Re: What restaurant for birthday near Edinburgh Castle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 13:21