We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh Airport

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh Airport

I am going to be in Edinburgh in October and my plan to take the train back to London just got cancelled. I am now going to be flying from Edinburgh to London Gatwick. I'm staying at the Clarendon on Shandwick Place and need to know how far to the airport and does anyone know if the hotel has a shuttle or will I need to get a cab?

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,382 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh Airport

You can easily pick up the Airport Express bus from Shandwick Place, depending on the time of day it will take about 25 minutes to the airport and cost £5.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh Airport

Does it have a shuttle? "Clarendon - Prices from £25.00 B & B per person per night "

I very much doubt it at those prices! :-)

There is an excellent bus which is cheap, and quick as it has special priority lanes. Or a cab might be about £15 or so but its some time since I used one so maybe its gone up?.

FWIW assuming you are catching a further flight onwards from Gatwick, then flying there seems like the best way to go.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,169 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh Airport

In fact the 100 Airport bus is £3.50 one way but you will need to walk to Haymarket station to pick it up (it stops just past the station).

It might be worth looking at Edinburgh Shuttle http://www.edinburghshuttle.com/home.php

They will charge £9 single and a regular taxi is around twice that.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh Airport

"In fact the 100 Airport bus is £3.50 one way but you will need to walk to Haymarket station to pick it up (it stops just past the station)."

Is 100 Airport the bus number to look for? Is it a walkable distance from my hotel to the station?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edinburgh Airport

"distance to bus station?"

Its on the hotel website.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,169 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edinburgh Airport

To walk from the Clarendon to Haymarket is only about 5-10 minutes even with luggage and it's all downhill. The 100 Airlink is a dedicated airport bus and is light blue and white as opposed to the Lothian buses which are maroon and white.

Come out of the hotel and turn left down Shandwick Place (and watch out for the tram works going on! It's chaos down that street at the moment)

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,283 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Edinburgh Airport

Can't understand all this talk of going to Haymarket - the 100 bus stops on Shandwick Place which is the westward extension of Princes Street. I suspect the OP will be able to stumble out of the hotel and find the bus-stop within a few yards

The following shows where the Clarendon & the bus stops are

http://www.clarendonhoteledi.co.uk/map/

http://www.flybybus.com/timetable.php

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Edinburgh Airport

Correct - the bus stop for the Airport Express bus is practically outside the front door of the Clarendon.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Edinburgh Airport

Be aware that from September to Christmas the whole area around Haymarket station is being rebuild for the tram network. This is going to increase journey times considerably. The stops for buses will also change. Recommend you give yourself additional time for the journey to the airport.

A map of changed bus stops and info on the bus can be found at www.lothianbuses.co.uk

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,283 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Edinburgh Airport

But it doesn't affect the Shandwick Place bus stop which on the following map is in the top right hand corner. From the looks of things the only bus stops affected are going into the centre of Edinburgh

www.lothianbuses.com/haymarket-diversions.php