We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh Aug visit review

north of the 49th
Level Contributor
98 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh Aug visit review

Spent a week here during the Fringe Fest and Tattoo, and here are a few comments. Despite the rain I enjoyed my time here. The city is very clean and the locals polite. Did not have a bad meal at any restaurant during my time here. I would reccomend The Mitre (hope I have the right name) restaurant on the Royal Mile.

I would have enjoyed the Tattoo much more had the weather cooperated, but thats out of our control. I did feel sorry for the performers as they did get soaked, most nights, as it turned out.

I ended up getting tickets to the Celtic game at home against Falkirk. Was very enjoyable and had no problem getting there from Edinburgh via rail. I was staying in Port Seton, which was a reliable bus ride to and from downtown Edinburgh.

I did read many complaints about the ticketing system for alot of events during the Festival, but my parents had no problem getting day of tickets for a Spike Milligan play.

My only gripe would be the "in your face" aproach for most pamphlets to Fringa and Comeady shows. Might appeal to some, but a turn off for me.

Of all the cities I visited in the UK, Edinburgh is at the top of my list. I highly reccomend. I will post my comments on the rest of my UK trip in the York forum.

Cheers Kosmo

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,598 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh Aug visit review

I am glad you had a positive experience of Edinburgh. Festival time is so over the top in the city that it is a wonder you met any locals at all, but it does give it a special atmosphere despite the dreadful weather we had all summer.

2. Re: Edinburgh Aug visit review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2009, 21:00
3. Re: Edinburgh Aug visit review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 07:18