We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Edinburgh train

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
London to Edinburgh train

hi,

I was wondering if someone could help me!

Travelling to London next year and want to go to Edinburgh from london via the train.

Believe that I if I book in advance I can get it cheaper.

However Im unsure of what website to book with to get the best fare...any help would be great!!!!!

thank you

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,034 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Edinburgh train

Hi

Best site to use is www.nationalexpresstrains.com as this is the operator for that line. Tickets normally come out about 12 weeks before travel and from time to time they have special offers (currently doing one way for about £15).

Trains take from 4.5 hours eash way.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
111 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Edinburgh train

I have tried various different websites to get cheaper fares but I have found that booking them direct gets you a good price. if you look at www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com you can check out prices.

I have just booked Glasgow to London return for Dec for about £45

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Edinburgh train

I think http://www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com/ is where you want to look for prices.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,034 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Edinburgh train

Sorry, www.nationalexpresseastcoast.com was what I meant.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,283 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London to Edinburgh train

Just beware if you want to travel over a weekend, particularly on a Sunday to check if there are any engineering works scheduled for your dates, as this can add considerably to your journey time and may involve travelling some of the way by coach. There is an option on the website to check for this.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London to Edinburgh train

Thanks so much, that has been a huge help!

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: London to Edinburgh train

I'd definitely recommend the National Express East Coast site for online bookings for following reasons:

1) No booking fee.

2) Accepts payment cards with non-UK billing addresses.

3) An additional 10% online booking discount applies to advance tickets on NXEC operated services.

I've just travelled from Edinburgh to London return for £18.50 outbound and £14 return. As outbound journey was on one of the weekends where track maintenance was taking place between Edinburgh and Newcastle I used Virgin Trains to London Euston changing at Crewe. Return was midweek and I used the normal route from Kings Cross.

When engineering works are in progress there's normally no need to use a replacement bus service on Edinburgh / London route. Hourly NXEC trains are operating at weekends on a diversionary route via Carlisle between Edinburgh and Newcastle; alternatively one can follow my example and use the West Coast route changing at Crewe. In either case journey is around 1hr longer but the track works are only taking place on a few weekends per year, usually in the off-peak season.

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London to Edinburgh train

Nel - Definitely "National express" Make yourself a member of the site and you can enter a "trip" and they will send you an email as soon as the tickets are available to book - That way you get the cheapest fares and can almost guarantee to get a seat with a table if you choose - Also book your trip as Two seperate journeys - works out cheaper...

John

9. Re: London to Edinburgh train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 21:17