We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

quick football question

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Utah
Level Contributor
424 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
quick football question

Who plays at the stadium you can see from the train on the trip between Edinburgh and Leuchars? Seems like it was sat pretty close to the water.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,068 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: quick football question

That'll be Raith Rovers FC in Kirkcaldy. Currently play in the third level of Scottish football and my son used to play in goal for the reserves.

The unglamourous end of football:-)

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: quick football question

Didn't they get into Europe a couple of years back? And IIRC there was a problem with the teams they played having difficulty finding out how to get to 'Raith' :-)

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: quick football question

I'm not sure if its true or not but one English football commentator was reported as saying "They’ll be dancing in the streets of Raith tonight".

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,068 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: quick football question

They did play in the European Cup in the mid-90's. Their highlight was a 1-1 draw away to Bayern Munich.

Soccer Saturday's Jeff Stelling used to proclaim that 'they will be dancing in the streets of Raith' whenever they won a game. Raith is actually a suburb of Kirkcaldy at the southern end of the town.

Something about Scottish teams not being named after the town they play in.

St. Johnstone - Perth

Queen of the South - Dumfries

Ross County - Dingwall

Partick thistle - Glasgow

Hearts & Hibernian - Edinburgh

Stenhousemuir & East Stirlingshire - Falkirk

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
998 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: quick football question

Not sure I agree that it's Raith Rovers - Starks Park isn't that near the water. I don't know if the train goes through Methil but, if it does I think Bayview (home of East Fife) is more lilkely to be the stadium that bscrowt saw.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,607 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: quick football question

I was thinking that too NBC.

I remember the old Methil ground,a real "toilet",one of the coldest places I have ever watched football,well when I say football it was an East Fife V Hearts game in the 70's hardly football really.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,068 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: quick football question

New Bayview is certainly nearest to the water but it's nowhere near the trainline. If you approach Kirkcaldy on the train from Edinburgh you get a great view of Starks Park with the sea just beyond.

Can't think of any other ground which matches the description

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: quick football question

I'm confident it's Raith Rovers ground as the train line goes right past it. (You can actually see the Starks Park floodlights from Prestonpans in East Lothian!)

Although New Bayview is right on the water in Methil there is no passenger rail services nearby.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
998 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: quick football question

OK - Starks Park it is then. :-)

(Still don't think it's all that close to the water though.)

Perth, United...
Destination Expert
for Perth and Kinross
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: quick football question

I have absolutely no idea which stadium it is but I can tell you that St Johnstone is an old name for the fair city of Perth hence the name of the football team.