We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh Experts - Which Apartment Location Woud Be Best?

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Edinburgh Experts - Which Apartment Location Woud Be Best?

Hello to all -

I am planning a two night stay in Edinburgh as part of our 20 day United Kingdom/Ireland trip. We are a family of five - Dad, Mom, teenage daughter, son and 20 something nephew from USA. We enjoy walking city streets, good food, and fun pubs. We will be visiting the Edinburgh Castle (Military Tattoo unfortunately already sold out). Do not plan to see any museums or churches.

With this information, can those of you familiar with the layout of the town make a recommendation for which location would be better?

Royal Mile Apartment (please click on the link to view the map of its location) - the-edinburgh-apartment.com/apartments/68/ma…

Or, the New Town Four Apartment (again, click on link) - the-edinburgh-apartment.com/apartments/64/ma…

Or, the New Town One Apartment: the-edinburgh-apartment.com/apartments/46/ma…

Kind thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Whizgirl

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh Experts - Which Apartment Location Woud Be Best?

I suspect that New Town One or Four would be nicer than the Canongate one. The New Town flats are likely to be more spacious and brighter, and probably quieter at night as well. All three are well-situated.

Regarding the Tattoo, it will be worth checking for tickets again nearer the time, as sometimes there are late releases of extra tickets.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh Experts - Which Apartment Location Woud Be Best?

As long as you're happy walking up and down hills, either location is pretty good, but I would say that the New Town One is your best bet. Lovely location opposite gardens, you've got the bars of George Street practically on your doorstep, easy walk straight up the mound to the old town, and you can also saunter down to Stockbridge.

However, you mention the Tattoo which implies you are visiting in August, and all the above properties have a minimum four night stay at that time (in the very small print).

Is this the case? If it is, we can maybe make some recommendations for places that do two night stays.

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,016 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh Experts - Which Apartment Location Woud Be Best?

Having lived on the Royal Mile for a number of years and in the New Town I would advise one of the two appartments in the New Town which is really quite old, built late 17 early 1800's with big well proportioed rooms. The appartment on the Canongate only sleeps a max of 4 so is probibly two small.

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh Experts - Which Apartment Location Woud Be Best?

Last time I stayed in Edinburgh I stayed in an apartment on the Royal Mile.

It was a great location for Edinburgh Castle

Hollyrood Palace

Princes Street

Gladstones House

Scottish Parliment

Dinamic Earth

Museum of Childhood

Lots of Pubs/Restraunts on the Royal Mile too

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Edinburgh Experts - Which Apartment Location Woud Be Best?

Thank you to all who replies with some great information and ideas!

It sounds like both locations have their pluses and minuses, but both are within walking distances to enjoying Edinburgh's city life!

Yes, I would be very interested in New Town locations that would be available for 2 nights.

whizgirl

6. Re: Edinburgh Experts - Which Apartment Location Woud Be Best?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 00:18