We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for an upcoming golf trip to Edinburgh area

Santa Ynez Valley
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Suggestions for an upcoming golf trip to Edinburgh area

I am planning a visit to Scotland the last two weeks of June and will be there entirely for golf, with a shot of pubbing and some new friends on the side :-)

I am planning on staying in the area around the Old Course for a few days (plus a few days in Troon and a few days in Dornoch) and hope to play the Old Course (getting in line is fine), New Course, Kingsbarn and Crail.

But I'm not sure about where to stay? I see there are a few towns on the coast like Tayport, Crail, Anstruther and Pittenweem which would put me near the coast and close to all the golf. I don't need cheapest, and don't want the best, but looking for unique or comfortable lodging for three to four people, and sharing a house is definitely and option if it is there to be found.

Any other suggestions for Golf or good local pubs would be a bonus...

Thank you so much,

Orphir, United...
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for an upcoming golf trip to Edinburgh area

Hi YnezValley,

Scotland is the place to come if you like Golf.

www.visitscotland.com

For accommodation and places to eat and pubs etc. You will find them all in there.

However, just look and book direct as VS will charge you a small fee for booking with them and they will take 10% commission of the accommodation provider.

The Gold Courses in Musselburgh are excellent you must try them. The one on the Race Course in Musselburgh is in very good condition. Royal Musselburgh also gets a good name for the service and greens there. Leven is also another nice course. As you are going to Dornich you might want to try the Three new Golf Course in Orkney Island, they quality is quit exceptional.

As you are going to

Cheers

HBL

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,462 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for an upcoming golf trip to Edinburgh area

Crail, Anstrtuther and Pittenweem are all lovely little fishing villages along the Fife coast within easy reach of St Andrews. There are lovely coastal walks you can do between all these villages and see the fishermem bringing in their fresh catch every morning. There are lots of holiday cottage lets around that area, but most have a minimum of one week stay in the summer months. You will get better value there though than in St Andrews itself which can be very expensive.

There are some very good restaurants in the area as well as the usual golf clubhouse fare and of course the award winning fish and chip shop in Anstruther is nationally famous. Tayport is a much poorer option I would say with little of scenic interest to recommend it.

Here are a few links to holiday cottages in the area. http://www.gardnerproperties.co.uk/about.html

http://www.fifecottages.co.uk/

http://www.eastneukholidays.com/

Alternatively I know that many golfers stay at the Craws Nest Hotel in Anstruther, not posh but decent enough. www.symphonyhotels.co.uk/content/view/24/93/

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
264 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for an upcoming golf trip to Edinburgh area

For great golf courses i would also add Ladybank to your list and also Elie. Ladybank is a parkland style course with tight tree lined fairways and some of the best greens in Scotland. Elie is a links course (James Braid) and extremely tough but with some great holes.

If you make it to Edinburgh head east and try North Berwick, West Links. Its one of my favourite courses and the views of the beach and sea are amazing.

My all time favourite is Kingsbarns and you are all ready playing it, i try and make sure i play it once a year and its always a pleasure.

edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for an upcoming golf trip to Edinburgh area

As you only intend staying a few days at each location then I would think that the likes of Elie in Fife would be ideal for St Andrews and Kingsbarns - 10 miles from both. Have a look at /www.scotlandwide.com/establishment.php?eid=739 as it is a reasonably new guest house.

For Dornoch I would suggest the Eagle Hotel or The Bank House which is across the road but another part of the same hotel, www.eagle-dornoch.co.uk it provides good food and is always busy in the bar at night with golfers / locals etc

Orphir, United...
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for an upcoming golf trip to Edinburgh area

Hi YnezValley,

The Eagle Hotel in Dornoch is very comfortable and the food is also very good. I would second Meks idea.

Cheers

HBL

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for an upcoming golf trip to Edinburgh area

If you make it to edinburgh, try Torphin Hill Golf Club, its got the most amazing views over Edinburgh and is known locally as the friendly club and the greens are great. Its not at all 'snobby' as some clubs can be and often don't live up to the hype.

There are good restaurants and local bars in nearby colinton and craiglockhart and the course in on the number 10 bus route straight from the city centre

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
107 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for an upcoming golf trip to Edinburgh area

Hi there... I replied on your Dornoch post as well.

Here is where I am staying (and playing) in the areas I am going to be playing. Note: there are 2 places in St. Andrews, as I will be there once with 1 friend, then returning with 3 friends later in the month.

Prestwick - Golf View Guest House; playing Prestwick, Western Gailes, Turnberry... Unfortunately Troon is hosting the Scottish Ametuer, so we can't play there

St. Andrews #1 - 11 Queens Gardens; playing he usual suspects

Aberdeen - Arkaig Guest House; Royal Aberdeen, Cruden Bay, Murcar Links

St. Andrews #2 - Secret St. Andrews (www.secretstandrews.com); playing the usual suspects

Inverness - Ardconnel Guest House; playing Brora, Nairn, Royal Dornoch, Castle Stuart

North Berwick - Melbourne Mews B&B; playing Dunbar, Glen Golf Club, North Berwick Golf Club, Gullane No.1 and No.2

Just one tourists opinion on 31 days of pure pleasure... I am sure locals could tell me where I went wrong, but this is what I have booked!

For 4 people in St. Andrews we are excited about Secret St. Andrews, which is an apartment with 4 bedrooms and multiple baths for a fair price.

8. Re: Suggestions for an upcoming golf trip to Edinburgh area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 05:27