We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tantalon

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Tantalon

I was looking to take an excursion out of Edinburgh, and North Berwick and Tantalon Castle look the most appealling.

If I took the train from Edinburgh to North Berwick, how do I get to the castle?

Palace of Holyroodhouse
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Historic Sites, Castles
Craigmillar Castle
Architectural Buildings, Historic Sites, Castles
Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tantalon

amberm1: I've been searching a bunch of websites trying to find a bus that goes there, and have come to the conclusion that you can either walk two miles east or take a cab to the castle.

Some of the Scottish castles are not easily accessible unless you have a car. When friends and I visited Dunottar Castle, we took a cab to/from town because it was pouring rain. If it would have been nicer weather, we definitely would have walked.

London, UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tantalon

Hi,

I used mini tours scotland to visit Tantallan castle and the spent a wonderful whole day on a private tour visiting some really interesting sites amnd castle off the usual tourist trai - Hailes Castle is just amazing! Try:

lhttp://www.mini-tours.com/tours_eastlothian.html

Enjoy your time in Scotland.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,516 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tantalon

there should be some local bus services that will travel from north Berwick to Dunbar passing close to Tantallon castle. (Most will run to a school timetable)I have not been able to find out which one but if you go to the local authourity web site

www.eastlothiancouncil.gov.uk you should be able to get links to transport or to the local tourist advice centre and get the info from there.

It is not an unpleasant walk from North Berwick to Tantallon but if it is wet and windy it will be.

good luck it is a lovley area to be in.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tantalon

The local bus service between North Berwick & Dunbar, passing Tantallon Castle, is Eves Coaches route 120. According Traveline Scotland, buses leave North Berwick High Street at 8:40, 10:15, 13:00, 15:00, 17:00 and 19:00. This is the Monday to Friday schedule. I did not check weekend or return schedules.

Traveline also indicates to allow 15 minutes to walk from train station to the bus stop.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tantalon

Thanks for all your help.

I think I will have to just get to North Berwick and see what the weather is like. A taxi sounds like a good idea, since it sounds like I could easily get lost trying to find the right bus and end up walking further than if I just walked to the castle.

The mini tours looks interesting, but since I will be alone, I doubt I could justify the cost. If you had 2 or 3 people it might be worth it.

My family is from Scotland, but this is my first trip. North Berwick was one of my grandmother's favourite places, she always wanted to buy a vacation home there. And my mother always talks about Tantallon being her favourite castle. So I figured this would be the best day trip for me.

But after telling my mother I was planning this, she told me that I would prefer Stirling. I think I'll have to decide when I get there. If the weather is nice, I think I'll have to head for the coast.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tantalon

amberm1: I've been to Stirling Castle and while it was undergoing renovation at the time, I wasn't as impressed with it as I was with Dunottar or Bamburgh. There's just something more dramatic about a castle close to the sea.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,516 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tantalon

amberm you will not get lost walking to tantallon from north berwick ,there onlt is one road to follow.

seville
Level Contributor
74 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tantalon

just DON'T rent a car from Capital Car Hire; they are EXTREMELY DISHONEST and will rip you off!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tantalon

Unclegus, I figured I'd get lost looking for the right bus, and be better off just walking to the castle. Or if the weather is icky, getting into a taxi.

Thanks for the tip about the rental car.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,516 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tantalon

It is a nice walk and if the weather is good you will get good views down the Firth of Forth and back to Edinburgh.if you have time you may be able to walk up Berwick Law,a man made hill in North Berwick ,you can't miss it.

there is also a very nice park in North berwick very good if you have kids.

Have a great holiday