We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggest day trips by Train

Level Contributor
200 posts
195 reviews
Save Topic
Suggest day trips by Train

Love to take train trips, what is scenic and within a 2 hour train ride from Edinburgh? Is there a train from the airport to the train station? Thanks all

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,789 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggest day trips by Train

Fife (Leuchars for St Andrews); google Forth Bridge for pictures of crossing.

Stirling, Perth, Dunkeld.

Loch Lomond via Glasgow.

No train from airport.

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggest day trips by Train

Pitlochry ? for your train trip.

There is no train from the airport into the train station at present. You can get an airport bus into Edinburgh.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,005 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggest day trips by Train

There is a good airport bus into Waverley Station.

Suggested train trips could be North Berwick,a seaside town in East Lothian,Stirling for the castle and Glasgow,the biggest city in Scotland.

Level Contributor
200 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggest day trips by Train

So help me out here... what I would ideally like to find, is a quaint town with a castle, sort of like Windsor only different in a Scottish way. Which of these suggestions fits that bill? If none, then is the North Berwick suggestion quaint? Yes, I know the world is shrinking and quaint is in short supply, but you can't fault me for hoping.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,789 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggest day trips by Train

Stirling has a castle - not sure where it scores on the 'quaint' index.

Dunkeld and St Andrews are quaint, but I don't think they have castles.

Best place I've found is Dornoch, but's too far away.

No shortage of castles in Scotlands - try Linlithgow: very close to Edinburgh.

Assuming you haven't been to Edinburgh before, I think you will be surprised at how attractive the centre is - its like no other city - castle; medieval main street; Palace and extinct volcano at the end of Royal Mile; then across the gardens, a complete Georgian Town.

Linlithgow, United...
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggest day trips by Train

Come visit Linlithgow.

No castle...but we have a palace....Birthplace of Mary Queen of Scots. Only 30 minutes by train.

Info and pictures here...

www.linlithgow.com

Enjoy your trip!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggest day trips by Train

How about going to Pitlochery and Blair Atholl castle? Seems to cover what you're after :)

8. Re: Suggest day trips by Train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 05:20