We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sizzling Scots- yummy, or yuck?

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
157 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Sizzling Scots- yummy, or yuck?

So, I found this restaurant on ONE of my many research forays, and it looks fun, and definitely something we carnivores would like.

My question- is it good food? I'm not expecting gourmet, but is it yummy and delicious, or dodgy and worth a miss?

Also- i have heard that in order to get, say, a medium steak (warm pink center) you typically have to order for one less stage of 'doneness' as somehow all chefs in the UK want to burn all meat... now, I know this isnt true! But, is there any advice you can give me?

Also- bonus question- best Indian in Edinburgh? I'd imagine it's better than the Indian in Austin (though I'll admit that's a bit like saying the French food in Germany is better than here in Texas, but who knows)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
261 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Sizzling Scots- yummy, or yuck?

I didn't really enjoy the food at Sizzling Scot-much better elsewhere. The place resembles a 60's cafe.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Sizzling Scots- yummy, or yuck?

Indian cavalry Club has great food but I found the atnosphere a bit stilted the last time I was there. Like Brittania Spice but my favourite is The Elms in Stoke on Trent!! Probably only of interest of you if you want to go to Alton Towers and it is hundreds of miles from Edinburgh...so sorry it can't be included in "best in Edinburgh" list...just that anytime someone says Indian food this place springs to mind. Sigh

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Sizzling Scots- yummy, or yuck?

Being veggie I can't speak from experience, but if you are able to head a bit outside Edinburgh I have heard very good things about the steaks at the Champany Inn www.champany.com - not cheap though.

For curries, I've enjoyed good food at Suruchi and also Kalpna (the latter is veggie).

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,582 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Sizzling Scots- yummy, or yuck?

Kalpna has just recently been completely refurbished,I passed there the other day and it is looking very nice,they are offering an all you can eat buffet for £7.95 though I didn't notice to which times that applied.

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,857 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Sizzling Scots- yummy, or yuck?

Don't listen to anyone who says that steaks in Scotland are of any worse quality than those in the USA. Our beef is amongst the best in the world and BSE did not come from Scotland. I recently had a fillet steak in a restaurant about 500 yards from my house and it was probably the best I have ever tasted. I hadn't gone to that restaurant for ages because you tend to forget about really local places.

Actually I have been to the USA several times and I stopped eating steaks there after about three or four attempts. My experience was always of a large, good enough quality steak, cooked OK but accompanied by nothing other than a plate of frozen chips (fries) and perhaps battered onion rings or one veg. I honestly believe that most UK restaurants do the full package much better.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
157 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Sizzling Scots- yummy, or yuck?

Alex Andraya, that's EXACTLY why I am so interested- we do steaks 'okay', but they always try to put compound butters or sauces on them... I want steak from a Scottish herd, plain and simple, nothing other than a little salt and pepper!

and I really do question any one who says food in the UK in general is bland and unappetizing- a large portion of my favourite meals have British roots...

(question, did I use that right? I know you are all part of the UK, but Scottish and English are two COMPLETELY different things... but are you all British, or is there another word I'm not familiar with? lol REALLY don't want to cause an international incident next week!)

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
490 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Sizzling Scots- yummy, or yuck?

The best steaks in Edinburgh IMHO are served in a restaurant called McKirdy's, which is in Morrison Street, between the Edinburgh International Conference Centre and Haymarket railway station.

The restaurant is run by a family of butchers and the meat is hung for 28 days, rather than the usual 14 days, giving it additional flavour and succulence. The steaks in McKirdy's are as good as anything I've had in the States - and, no I am not connected with the business; just a very satisfied customer. :-)

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,857 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Sizzling Scots- yummy, or yuck?

-------------------------------------------------

"but are you all British, or is there another word I'm not familiar with"

-------------------------------------------------

Yes, we are all British. You can use the B word without fear of causing an incident but some of have nationalist tendencies and may prefer to be addressed as Scots or Welsh.

(This is depite the independent countries in the UK probably being not much bigger than a large cattle rank in Texas ;o)

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,857 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Sizzling Scots- yummy, or yuck?

Cattle rank? (I meant ranch.)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Sizzling Scots- yummy, or yuck?

Best Indian...defo Brittania Spice at Ocean Terminal. Totally fantastic food.