We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in Scotland in May?

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stamford...
Level Contributor
574 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
4 days in Scotland in May?

I'm just beginning research for a 5 day trip to Scotland at the end of May, and as with any trip, tripadvisor is my first stop. (For Europe, Rick Steves books are my second..)

We'll have 5 nights and 4 full days, departing on the 5th day. We'll be arriving from London, so hopefully over the jetlag by the time we get to Scotland.

What are the must sees? Any suggested itineraries? We'd like to see the highlights of Edinburgh and also get out into the countryside - perhaps the Highlands or the isles - is that possible, or is it too much? We will be renting a car.

Also, we'll be there over May 25th, which I understand is a bank holiday - will sites be open?

Is it best to use Edinburgh as a home base, or stay there for a night or two and then switch hotels?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in Scotland in May?

If you want to see the Highlands you are better off leaving Edinburgh for at least one night if not two or three.

Pick a few places you really want to see and build an itinerary around that - TA members can help you further once you give them something to work from.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in Scotland in May?

Bank holidays in Scotland mean just that - all the banks are shut, everywhere else is business a usual.

It is not really practical to try and see Scotland from Edinburgh and I would suggest basing yourself a bit further north after you have "done" Edinburgh. Dunkeld or Pitlochry are a bit closer to the highlands (Inverness, Fort William, Loch Ness) as well as the East coast (Glamis castle, Royal Deeside etc) or south via Dundee and the Tay bridge to St. Andrews and Fife.

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in Scotland in May?

Check out www.visitscotland.com

edinburgh
Level Contributor
28 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in Scotland in May?

Do Edinburgh bus tour to get your bearings

Suggested sights

Edinburgh Castle

The Royal Mile

Holyrood palace

Arthurs seat

Princes street Gardens (forget the shops)

Scottish Parliament

Night time ... pubs too many to mention

If you want trendy then George Street

Something traditional then High Street

5. Re: 4 days in Scotland in May?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 11:21