We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel help

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
548 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel help

Hello everyone! My friend and I will be in Edinburgh for 2 days (1 night). We were told Edinburgh is nicer and better to explore than Glasgow is for the short time that we have. Can anyone suggest a reasonable hotel in a good area close enough to walk around places(thinking no more than 100 pounds) a night.

Thanks in advance.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,719 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel help

There are hundreds to choose from. They've all been reviewed on this site. (See 'Hotels in Edinburgh' this screen).

Why not read the reviews and select a few that interest you and then ask for opinions?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
548 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel help

Fair enough. Will do.

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel help

I have stayed in Thistle Hotel, just off Princes st. It was a great location for everything in Edinburgh.

You could use the swimming pool and gym at the Virgin Active club across the road for a charge of £10.00 a day.

We had breakfast in Valvona and Crola in Leith Walk.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
261 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel help

Definately Edinburgh (and I am a Glaswegian). Go to Booking.com and you may book a guest house/hotel and the cancellation period is sometimes only 24 hrs. All places are reviewed. A very professional site. Some very good bargains.

Chicago
Level Contributor
371 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel help

Hey- how are you doing - I usually see your posts at SXM - was surprised when I saw a post here today! I too am looking for a hotel in Edinburgh for a couple of days. When will you be there? we are going to stop over in May on our way home from a Baltic cruise.

We really like Edinburgh and prefer it for a taste of of the area in a short time. The town part is pretty compact especially if you do not want a car which most say is a pain.

You should really check out the airport bus- if I understand it correctly it stops along the way between town and the airport and the price for round trip appears to be 6 pounds. It is a trip trying to figure out the driving- harder IMO that in the island that drive on the other side because the steering is where we are used to the passenger and requires a lot of thinking - you won't be there long enough for that and the parking is a nightmare.

As for places - keep in mind that many of the hotels are not air conditioned because they do not it most of the time. I also think that your flight time may have an impact on where you will stay too. Have a good time- it is a great place to visit!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
198 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel help

>Hello everyone! My friend and I will be in Edinburgh for 2 days (1 night). We were told Edinburgh is nicer and better to explore than Glasgow is for the short time that we have. Can anyone suggest a reasonable hotel in a good area close enough to walk around places(thinking no more than 100 pounds) a night.<

Not wishing to open the East v West debate but told by whom and based on what? What do you want to see and what to do?

Both cities have much to offer the visitor.

UK
Level Contributor
100 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel help

Last time we were in Edinburgh we stayed at the Barcelo Carlton Hotel (Barcelo is a good group of hotels). Very central hotel. It is just a walk over a short bridge to princess street (famous Edinburgh street with lots of shops and nice gardens)and also close to the castle and the parliment buildings. We had large lovely room, great breakfast and it also serves good meals and bistro food. It is also close to train station. We got a good deal from their website so may be worth trying. The hotel is a traditional building but has a modern touch to the decor. We liked it alot. Also has small pool, jacuzzi etc.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
548 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel help

Wow! Thanks for all the responses! I will check Booking.com, Barcelo and Thistle...thank you. I'm just all over the place because we are travelling from Dublin to Scotland to Croatia to Madrid...so it's hard trying to find the right hotels for the right prices that is. Going to start exploring all the sites and reviews for hotels. I just like hearing feedback from ppl on the forums cause they always give great advice!

Hey bcirish! I'm very good thank you. Yes, it's time for Europe this summer! Although I love SXM! best caribbean island, it's time for a change! Wow, Baltic cruise...sounds amazing. We will be in stopping in Edinburgh June 30-July 2. That's right, no car, thank goodness!! Much different than island driving I bet! lol. Thank you..will def. have a good time!

glasgowtourer, I was told from a gentleman who works with me (who is Scottish) that for the amount of time EDI is the way to go. Initially we were going to fly into GLA..but now we changed our mind based on advice. We mainly want to see Castles, shops nice senery, pubs in walking distance and safe to walk at night etc. Nothing extreme as we only have 2 days- 1 night to explore.

southern england
Level Contributor
256 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel help

we used booking.com for a recent stay at the 'old waverley' hotel . this is very handy for everything , especially the airport express bus , and overall can recommend this hotel.hope this helps

Glasgow
Level Contributor
198 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel help

Fair enough - if you want a castle then Edinburgh does tend to have one over on Glasgow.

Both have plenty of places to eat/drink that are very safe to walk around at night.

Shopping is generally better in Glasgow.

Enjoy your short time in the country