We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Central hotel where we can eat meal while children sleep

England
Level Contributor
170 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Central hotel where we can eat meal while children sleep

Good evening,

We're planning a last minute jaunt to Edinburgh for a couple of nights next week, and as we have two children we're looking for the following:

Somewhere nice and central (preferrably with parking).

As the kids go to bed for six we'd like somewhere where we can go downstairs and get a meal once they're out for the count - this means that huge hotels are out as we need to be in range for the baby monitor (and of course close by in case of fire etc) so anywhere twenty stories high would be no good.

Budget isn't really a huge issue - £150 a night maximum for somewhere perfect, although cheaper would be ideal.

Hope that your collective expertise can come up with something - thanks in advance.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,796 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Central hotel where we can eat meal while children sleep

I think the Roxburghe on Charlotte Square is child-friendly (and 4 stories high).

But 'central' and 'parking' is a bit of a rarity on Edinburgh. Its not a car-friendly city, and the centre is being dug up for trams.

You might be better considering The Holiday Inn at Edinburgh Zoo. Frequent buses into the centre and next door to the zoo, which the kids might like.

England
Level Contributor
170 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Central hotel where we can eat meal while children sleep

Thanks for the quick reply - I shall have a good look at both those hotels. We are going to spend one day at the zoo, so basing ourselves there may make sense.

Digging around a bit more, am thinking that the Royal Garden apartments might also be a good bet?

Anymore suggestions very welcome.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
264 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Central hotel where we can eat meal while children sleep

What about the Kings Manor hotel which is situated east of the Palace of Holyrood. They serve bar food and they also have a restaurant. They have parking and a swimming pool. It is also near the beach. The bus to town takes 16-20 mins. and passes every 10 mins (no. 44).I think that is would be less expensive than £150 per night!

England
Level Contributor
170 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Central hotel where we can eat meal while children sleep

Great - thank you, shall look this one up too.

Currently erring towards the Roxburghe at the moment, but certainy still open to suggestions.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
212 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Central hotel where we can eat meal while children sleep

Parking is virtually impossible at the Roxburgh. What about the Best Western Bruntsfield?

bestwestern.co.uk/Hotels/…

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,146 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Central hotel where we can eat meal while children sleep

Parking is available at the Roxburgh - £19 a day - book in advance with the Concierge.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
212 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Central hotel where we can eat meal while children sleep

I stand corrected!

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,659 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Central hotel where we can eat meal while children sleep

Most of the New Town was built about 1750 or so and it would be fair to say that the buildings are solid. I have problems getting wireless networks to work in many building so maybe you should be looking for a hotel that offers a baby minding service that is built into the hotel systems rather than taking your own.

I would seriously doubt that a domestic child alarm will work from the ground floor to the second floor for example.

winnipeg
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Central hotel where we can eat meal while children sleep

If you are putting your children to sleep at 6 p.m. they must be young. I would suggest you change their schedule a bit and have them stay up later while you eat earlier and then they could safely eat with you. Leaving your children alone in a hotel room with a monitor that may or may not work is never a good idea. We only have to look at past experiences to see that. By the way if we left young children like that over here it is called child abandonment and your children could be taken away by child protection services.

Australia
Level Contributor
182 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Central hotel where we can eat meal while children sleep

I was also just wondering about the safety of leaving the children alone. For example, what if someone breaks into the room as can sometimes occur. You might not get back quickly enough even with the monitor. Sorry, not trying to spoil your holiday, it was just a thought I had as I was reading this thread.