We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Central hotel where we can eat meal while children sleep

England
Level Contributor
170 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Central hotel where we can eat meal while children sleep

Good evening,

We're planning a last minute jaunt to Edinburgh for a couple of nights next week, and as we have two children we're looking for the following:

Somewhere nice and central (preferrably with parking).

As the kids go to bed for six we'd like somewhere where we can go downstairs and get a meal once they're out for the count - this means that huge hotels are out as we need to be in range for the baby monitor (and of course close by in case of fire etc) so anywhere twenty stories high would be no good.

Budget isn't really a huge issue - £150 a night maximum for somewhere perfect, although cheaper would be ideal.

Hope that your collective expertise can come up with something - thanks in advance.

Australia
Level Contributor
182 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Central hotel where we can eat meal while children sleep

Sorry, I just had another couple of thoughts. When we go away with children, we usually get an apartment with a little kitchen. That way we can all eat out or eat in. I'm not sure how common holiday apartments are in the UK. Secondly, do the bigger hotel chains offer a child-minding service?

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,620 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Central hotel where we can eat meal while children sleep

Why not rent a serviced apartment? You could all eat out together for lunch then have dinner in your own place. You could order a takeaway or get something ready prepared from M&S.

Alternatively, if they're really young and use buggies you could always let them nap in those while you eat in a hotel restaurant with them beside you.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
264 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Central hotel where we can eat meal while children sleep

I totally agree with the two posters about the child safety aspect. I never left my children anywhere when they were young. They were taken in a double buggy and wrapped up for the evening. Baby alarms cannot detect everything. Go to a restaurant were children and prams are welcome.The two posters said what I was thinking but did'nt want to say!!!

Alpha Centauri
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Central hotel where we can eat meal while children sleep

After arriving in Scotland the very morning the Madeline McCann story hit the news, I guess I'm a bit surprised that people still do this in the UK/Europe and the laws have not been changed. My good friends have always done this on holiday and I am always biting my tongue thru dinner and not my dinner. Interesting the cultural or different custom here when this is illegal (leaving a child unattended) in the States/Canada as well. --Sandy

England
Level Contributor
170 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Central hotel where we can eat meal while children sleep

Leaving my children a floor above me, in a small hotel, with a baby monitor on is far kinder to them than keeping them up past their bedtime.

The MCCann analogy is rather like saying I won't take them in a car because of road fatalities - reasonable precautions are taken but life cannot be dictated by rare tragedies.

Anyway, problem solved, hotel booked - thanks to all for their suggestions.

Alpha Centauri
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Central hotel where we can eat meal while children sleep

Parental issues aside, I'm curious: What is the Hotel's liability under such circumstances? Across the Pond we are so used to living in a litigious society I would not be surprised if the Hotels in US/Canada would not permit unattended children because they themselves would not want to be held liable or responsible. Is the GM of the George in Edin. able to answer? --Sandy

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,795 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Central hotel where we can eat meal while children sleep

Sandy,

I guess alpha centauri must be full of lawyers, but I can't see how the hotel could have any responsibility in this.

If you leave your bags in the cloakroom, you will be given a bit of paper saying the hotel is not responsible if they go missing.

If you leave your children in the room, how can that be held against the hotel?

I think its clear where the responsibility is.

I know if you go on safari in Africa, most places will make you sign a bit of paper stating that parents are responsible AT ALL TIMES for their children's safety, but I don't think that's necessary to spell out in a hotel.

Alpha Centauri
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Central hotel where we can eat meal while children sleep

With all due respect, you would be surprised, unfortunately. If a policy is not published, posted, or wavered many people will interpret that as an opportunity. What would SEEM obvious to a responsible person with good common sense is often missing when an unfortunate mishap or worse occurs. Some angry people hunt for another depot for their pain instead of accepting responsibility for their own actions or bad judgement. A hotel may be held responsible, for instance, right or wrong, for their security or lack thereof. Unfortunately. An example: If the horrific circumstance of the McCann tradgedy occurred in, let's say, New York City, I can almost guarantee a swarm of lawyers would pounce on the distraught parents in an attempt to persuade them they should sue the hotel/property for any "perceived" breach of security. The hotel will need to defend itself aggressively, at tremendous expense, in court, and may not win if, another example, let's say, a security guard was established to be on a "smoke break" at the time and no replacement has been provided. I absolutely agree, this is ugly, and it's not limited to US/Canadian citizens. Visitors and newcomers can and do take advantage of the legal system without benefit of citizenship. There is sometimes an expectation of "blanketed" protection on US/Canadian soil. There are opportunists and scammers, in addition to those who are sadly in a difficult situation. If I fell victim to a crime in another country I would not expect the same rights the laws designed to govern & protect said citizens to extend to me--that is not the case in the US/Canada. Often visitors & non-citizens expect the laws here to apply to them! Hello! Our courts are choking under the burden of misplaced responsibility, an inappropriate degree of entitlement, and greedy lawyers. All businesses (and citizens) must buy extra insurance and hire a team of solicitors to protect themselves from a grieving parent who slept soundly while their child decided to leave the room and go for a swim at 3:30 AM., or climbed a fence and fell into my swimming pool. That's why you will see a silly sign saying "No Diving" at the hot tub. If the sign was not posted someone would sue the hotel/cottage owner for bumping their head if they thought they could get $$. And we all get to pay for it thru higher costs. There seems to be, IMHO, less of this ugliness in the UK. --Sandy

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,795 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Central hotel where we can eat meal while children sleep

Luckily we are not talking about the US.

With the McCann's, there was a large degree of public sympathy; but there was also a number of people who felt they shouldn't have left their children.

However, I cannot ever recall hearing anyone say that somehow the resort management were at fault.

Maybe its a difference in culture, but someone blaming someone else for their own shortcomings, tends to get short shrift here.

Probably straying way off-topic. Happy to discuss somewhere else.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,146 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Central hotel where we can eat meal while children sleep

Many should be able to arrange either a babysitter (this used to be an off-duty receptionist or waitress needing some extra money, but regulations might have tightened up) or have a baby listening service where they use the room phone as intercom and come and get you if they hear howling.