We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Museums

Maricopa, Arizona
Level Contributor
328 posts
Save Topic
Museums

I have purchased a guidebook and have done research online and most of you know, I had many questions.

I have 1 question...I know there are so many museums of varying displays and just wondering, what are some museums we just absolutely must see before we leave?

Based on all the museums we found in the book and online, there are way too many for us to do them all, so just wanted some opinions on what are must sees?

I am going to ask all our destinations this as well, as we want to spend a lot of time not just seeing the touristy stuff, but want to take in the culture and the history of each of the cities we want to see.

Thanks a lot!

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Edinburgh
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Rabbie's
Cultural Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Multi-day Tours, Sightseeing Tours
The Hairy Coo - Free Scottish Highlands Tour
Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours, Sightseeing Tours
James Christie Photography - Edinburgh Photography Tours Limited
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Photography Tours
Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,269 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Museums

There are several museums in the castle but please don't miss seeing the Honours of Scotland.

These are our crown jewels and are often missed by visitors.The entrance is in Palace Square opposite the Scottish national war memorial.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
490 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Museums

The Edinburgh Story is a really interesting museum - it's on the Royal Mile between the Bridges and Holyrood Palace. For my money, it's the best for getting a real insight into the city - and it's free!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,269 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Museums

I notice you are visiting Glasgow also.Our main museum is Kelvingrove which has an interesting collection.The KG cafe in the basement is good for lunch.

The People's Palace in Glasgow Green is a quirky museum concentrating on Glasgow's history.

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,554 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Museums

The National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh is free and tells the story of the whole country from early man up to present day- you start in the basement with the early Celts and work up to the latest sporting heroes exhibition on the top floor.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,020 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Museums

The "touristy stuff" is the "culture and history" of the places you are visiting. Even, sadly, the waxworks and dungeons places.

Unfortunately you can't get away from the fact that asking to list the 'must-sees' will, inevitably, bring you into contact with the touristy stuff.

But, being a tourist - seeing the tourist stuff will probably give you a superb experience.

Anyway - I thought you'd decided to go to Munich and Italy instead of Scotland?

Have I missed a post?

Toronto
Level Contributor
340 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Museums

The Portrait Gallery in Edinburgh is wonderful, and in addition to the paintings, sculptures, etc., the architecture and murals in the building itself are breathtaking.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Museums

If you go to the Castle, you have the option of three museums as well as the standard exhibits, all to do with military history. You've paid your entrance fee, so you might as well.

The Portrait Gallery and half of the National Museum are closed for reconstruction.

The main Edinburgh museum is the National Museum in Chambers Street, of which the sizeable Scottish section is open. It has an old-fashioned approach of being a collection of artifacts rather than tackling great themes. But the stuff is good and stands on its merits - particularly the archaelogical objects in the basement. It's also free, so you can go in, see if you like it, and take it from there.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Museums

Also the National Gallery on the Mound. Not too big, but it has fine representative paintings from most of the Great Masters.

Maricopa, Arizona
Level Contributor
328 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Museums

We were talking about Munich and Italy, but after looking at hotels, it just doesn't seem feasible financially. Flying into Milan is cheaper than London, but hotel wise, Milan seems more expensive than London. So, we have decided we will probably stick to the plan we have now, unless things suddenly change and rates change as well.

Thank you for the advice!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Museums

For Edinburgh, I would recommend, the Castle, The Museum of Scotland, The Georgian House. This gets you to the different part of Edinburgh. My next three would be Holyrood Palace, The National Gallery, and Gladstone's Land.

You should also check out the Princes Street Gardens, maybe catch the view from Calton Hill or Arthur's Seat.

You might want to read some books based in Edinburgh before you go. Pick up an Ian Rankin mystery to get in touch with the darker side of Edinburgh.

Pam