We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Edinburgh for 6 hours this Satudray (2/5/09)?

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stavanger
5 posts
Save Topic
What to do in Edinburgh for 6 hours this Satudray (2/5/09)?

Hello!

I am an American living and working in Norway for this year. This is my first time in Europe and Scotland is the first place I choose to see! I will be arriving by train at 2pm this Satudray and then taking the last train back to Aberdeen that night. Therefore, I have roughly 6 hours to sight see and experience Edinburgh.

What should I see in that short amount of time? Do all establishments accept Visa or American Express?

Any information is greatly appreciated! Thank you! :)

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,688 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Edinburgh for 6 hours this Satudray (2/5/09)?

Many establishments will accept Visa, some will accept AmEx, all will accept cash, the best thing to do is to start at one end of The Royal Mile and head towards the other - but note that most attractions / shops will be closed by 6:00pm

You could then head off for some food, drink and entertainment

http://www.edinburgh-royalmile.com/

http://www.list.co.uk/

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,441 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Edinburgh for 6 hours this Satudray (2/5/09)?

http://www.edinburghtour.com/

you could also do one of the bus tours,at this time of year they do run a little later at night.

Stavanger
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in Edinburgh for 6 hours this Satudray (2/5/09)?

Thanks for the quick replies! I've decided to take an eariler train ride to Edinburgh. So I will now be in Edinburgh this Saturday at 8:30am. I will have 12 hours there...now I just have to figure out if I want to take tours all day or go sight seeing on my own. Any suggestions?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,441 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in Edinburgh for 6 hours this Satudray (2/5/09)?

you can do both,all the tour buses are hop on hop off,so you can take one so far to a place you fancy ,hop off have a look then jump on the next on.They tend to run at 15-20 minute intervals,ticket lasts 24 hours.

VA, USA
Level Contributor
83 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in Edinburgh for 6 hours this Satudray (2/5/09)?

I would start at Edinburgh castle, hit the national gallery, stroll through the park, wander down the mile, go to Holyrood palace. Deacon Brodies for a pint the Worlds End for a meal and an early vaults tour, then to Sandy Bells' for another pint and a tune! But that's just me...lol

North Berwick...
Destination Expert
for East Lothian
Level Contributor
725 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in Edinburgh for 6 hours this Satudray (2/5/09)?

National Trust has 2 properties I recommend, especially since I am a Sayurday room guide at the Georgian House! The other is Gladstone's Land along the Royal Mile. Both properties give a glimpse of domestic life in Edinburgh 200 years apart.

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
426 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in Edinburgh for 6 hours this Satudray (2/5/09)?

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of places just don't open until 10am. By this I mean tourist shops, attractions etc are generally open 10-5 so in the earlier morning theres not a huge amount open.

I don't know if it's the same on Saturday though.

Hope you enjoy Edinburgh NorwayandBack :)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in Edinburgh for 6 hours this Satudray (2/5/09)?

Wow. That must be an early start from Aberdeen. So, the first thing I would do is have breakfast. There are lots of places to do this, but my favourite is Cafe Lucano on George IV Bridge. It's the kind of place where ordinary people wander in and read, meet friends and so on.

Then walk. Start at the Castle and make your way slowly down the Royal Mile, poking your nose into the lanes or wynds as you go. Or stop to visit to vistit one of the (Mostly free) museums.

9. Re: What to do in Edinburgh for 6 hours this Satudray (2/5/09)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2009, 07:16