We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

parking in edingurgh

Mumbai
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Topic
parking in edingurgh

hey all...

am hiring a car to edinburgh from glasgow...but am told parking is a menace in there..is that so??

please advise...

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,532 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: parking in edingurgh

Driving and parking in Edinburgh is an expensive hell on earth. If you have any other option do not hire a car to get from Glasgow to Edinburgh but get the train or bus instead

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,727 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: parking in edingurgh

You don't need a car in the cities of Edinburgh and Glasgow. Do you have plans to go outside the cities? Parking is difficult, expensive and Edinburgh is full of roadworks and diversions. Use the buses in the cities and use coach or train in-between them. Only hire a car if you really really need it. Where else do you want to go?

Mumbai
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: parking in edingurgh

thank you for your response...have a hired a car to drive to loch ness, fort william and inverness...dont have the time for isle of skye...hence am not going there...was thinking of stopping by at edinburgh on the way back to glasgow..

but since you all have suggested, not to drive in there...do you have any other place/s to suggest to visit?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,727 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: parking in edingurgh

I still think you should come to Edinburgh, just beside Edinburgh Airport is a Park and Ride. Park your car there and get the bus into Edinburgh. What you pay in bus fares will buy you 20 to 30 minutes parking in central Edinburgh.

You can even check how many spaces are free - at the airport (ingliston) there are presently 530 free places.

…cdmf.info/cdmf-webserver/edinburghMap.jsp

Mumbai
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: parking in edingurgh

thank you alanbrownedinburgh...

this was really helpful...

in my current trip, am including, fort williams and places around...

will look up edinburgh over the weekend..if there are any more suggestions, please share.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,532 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: parking in edingurgh

If you are visiting Edinburgh for a day then using the Park & Rides is a good option - however if you are staying overnight or longer you will have to stay somewhere outside the centre of Edinburgh or expect to pay heavily for the privilege of parking - assuming you can find the car park which in Edinburgh can be an "interesting" experience

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: parking in edingurgh

You could also just drop your car off in Edinburgh and catch the train to Glasgow. It's an easy trip and there easy an easy bus from the train station to the airport. When I visited Edinburgh for a short stay out by the Royal Botanic Gardens I was able to find street parking with the help of my hotel. Pam

8. Re: parking in edingurgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2009, 07:18