We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation for Edinburgh Military Tattoo

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
107 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation for Edinburgh Military Tattoo

I am reposting this topic, as my question is now slightly different.

We are staying in St. Andrews during the Tattoo in Edinburgh. We decided to get tickets and attend on a Thursday night.

We looked into train service to get us back and forth, but the last train from Edinburgh to Leuchars is at just past 11pm and with the show likley to end at 10:30pm, the advice from people seemed to be it would be too tight to catch the train.

We will have a car in St. Andrews, so my question is this: Is there a city or location on the outskirts of Edinburgh where we can drive and park, then catch a taxi into the city?

It seems like this would be much cheaper than hiring a taxi to drive us the whole way from St. Andrews to Edinburgh and then back after the show.

For example, can we drive to EDI and park at the airport in long term parking, and then take a taxi into town? Or looking at a map, could we find someplace to park in a town like Queensferry/Dalmeny/Craigiehall and take a taxi from there?

Thanks so much for any help you can provide!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,834 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation for Edinburgh Military Tattoo

There are a set of "park and rides" on the outskirts of Edinburgh

edinburgh.gov.uk/internet/…cec_park_and_rides

Probably the best for you is either Ingliston or Hermiston.

BUT check the train times closer to the date as there may be trains running later

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
107 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation for Edinburgh Military Tattoo

Brilliant! Just what I was looking for - thanks!

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
107 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation for Edinburgh Military Tattoo

Alanrow... I had a question.

I think the Ingliston park and ride is just what we are looking for. My question is - when we board the bus, what stop would we get off on to be closest to the Royal Mile or the Castle?

Thanks!

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation for Edinburgh Military Tattoo

Although both the 35 and 48 take different routes into the city centre, they both go down the North Bridge, and so you'd get off at a stop next to where the North Bridge intersects High Street/Cannongate.

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
107 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation for Edinburgh Military Tattoo

thanks for all the info!

i think it's clear now that we'll drive to the park and ride and then take the bus into the royal mile, pints and food at the pub and then a couple pints before we taxi or bus it back to the park and ride!

brilliant!

thanks!

6. Re: Transportation for Edinburgh Military Tattoo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2009, 07:18