We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where did everybody go?

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glens Falls, New...
Level Contributor
375 posts
Save Topic
Where did everybody go?

Just been watching the Edinburgh live video streaming webcam of the city center and hardly anyone around! I know Princes Street is being dug up to make way for the tram, but it's so eerie like a scene in a sci fi movie after a terrible cataclysmic event...well maybe not quite! Sort of reminds me of San Francisco (after the bomb) in the movie On The Beach (I think that's the name of it). I know things will return to the normal hustle bustle in several months...the construction is scheduled to be completed in November 2009 right?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where did everybody go?

Do you have a link for the webcam you are watching? Strangely the only one I can get of Princes Street right now is a night-time scene with shops lit up and car headlights glowing. Strange because its only 8 pm on a bright and sunny summers evening in my back garden!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where did everybody go?

yes ,there are bits of Princes street that even pedestrians can't access.

As to finishing in November 2009...............we live in hope.

it is only the Princes Street section (ie abour 2/3rds of the street) that is due finished by then and we locals are not convinced of that,we still have at least 2 more years of construction work before our tramline (note ONE tramline)is due for completion.

there was hope that the street would be open during the festival (as was promised) but they are so far behind on the work that is not now going to happen.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,588 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where did everybody go?

There's no one walking about the centre at night. Most of the residents are tucked up in their locals, and the visitors are pub-crawling in George street or looking for Inspector Rebus hang-outs.

Try again in August or Hogmanay!

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Where did everybody go?

Hi, This could be the webcam that Jane is watching..

camvista.com/scotland/edinburgh/histedin_str…

Glens Falls, New...
Level Contributor
375 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where did everybody go?

Okay, here's the link...I hope I get it right. I'm not a tekkie, can barely get an electric toothbrush to work. Let me know if this works:

camvista.com/scotland/edinburgh/histedin_str…

Well, I hope Princes Street will re-open for the Festival. What a mess if it doesn't. What a loss of revenue!

Glens Falls, New...
Level Contributor
375 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where did everybody go?

Cool...it worked. The place looks so desolate. Makes me sad in a way.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,480 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where did everybody go?

Should be bargains in Princes St hotels though ...

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,536 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where did everybody go?

"Well, I hope Princes Street will re-open for the Festival. What a mess if it doesn't"

Princes Street will definitely not be open for the Festival. The Council have already announced that the Festival Cavalcade will be in Holyrood Park http://www.edinburghcavalcade.com/

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where did everybody go?

Well, I walk across Princes Street every day to work: there seem to be plenty of people at ground level

Glens Falls, New...
Level Contributor
375 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where did everybody go?

Well, since I'm viewing the live video now (morning my time, early afternoon yours), there's a little more activity..construction workers and other people walking about. Not quite so desolate, but Princes Street has changed forever.

On that note, what is the general consensus of opionion about the tram...is it favorable? Will it improve the traffic congestion? How will the traffic pattern change anyway? I know change is difficult to accept for most people from time to time, but is this a good thing for Edinburgh? How expensive would it be, let's say, from the airport to town? Do you pay as you board, or is there a conductor that issues tickets...like on the busses years ago...remember those bright green Lothian(?) busses! I miss them.