We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easy/cheap destinations from Edinburgh

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
280 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Easy/cheap destinations from Edinburgh

My daughter is going to be studying in Edinburgh for a semester beginning in Sept and my 23 yr old son will be going over to visit for Thanksgiving - any particular suggestions of a convenient, cheap fun place for them to visit for 2-3 days while he's there? Thinking maybe Dublin, Munich, Stockholm or Amsterdam, but very much open to ideas - they love to explore! Thanks

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,836 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easy/cheap destinations from Edinburgh

None of those places are cheap. In fact,you don't get cheap until you get to the Baltic states or Eastern Europe - Latvia, Estonia,Lithunia, Romania, Poland, etc.

Glasgow and Newcastle are only about an hour away, and quite different from Edinburgh....

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easy/cheap destinations from Edinburgh

I suggest they go to a local travel agent and see what short break deals are available a few weeks beforehand.

Also use somewhere like lastminute.com to look for similar.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,099 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Easy/cheap destinations from Edinburgh

There are direct flight from Edinburgh to Prague on the low cost carrier Jet2.I travel there every year and in May got return flights for £86.

Lots of cheap hostels or hotels there and the cost of living is a bit lower than many other European capitals.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,318 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easy/cheap destinations from Edinburgh

Agree with Unclegus re: Prague. Would also look at where Ryanair fly to out of Edinburgh. Cheap flights to Palma or Bratislava/Vienna

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,099 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Easy/cheap destinations from Edinburgh

Ryanair just announce yesterday that they were cutting a lot of their winter flights from Edinburgh,don't know what routes will be affected though.

…scotsman.com/business/Number-of-Ryanair-cit…

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,910 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easy/cheap destinations from Edinburgh

Amsterdam does not nee to be that expensive. Easyjet flights from around $100 if booked in advance over thanksgiving weekend and 4 star hotels available on Priceline for $65 per night.

Prague also a good place to visit and gets my vote too.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easy/cheap destinations from Edinburgh

There are several flights a day from Edinburgh to Cardiff, Wales which is becoming a popular city break destination and has a fairly young population, and which is fairly cheap compared to the other capital cities.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,847 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Easy/cheap destinations from Edinburgh

You could also take the overnight ferry to Zeebrugge. You can get really cheap "cruises"

sunny glasgow
Level Contributor
309 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easy/cheap destinations from Edinburgh

They could book Ryan Air flights from Prestwick you would be best to see what flights are available and work backwards from there.

Bergamo airport is a couple of hours train journey from Venice.

Beauvais Airport is only a single bus ride from the airport to the city centre and there are still some Shannon flights for £5.00.

I couldn't recommend Amsterdam highly enough especially if they are limited for time as there are so many different types of experiences in a condensed area.The van Gogh museum is not to be missed if they can get decent flights, we once got the Radisson hotel for thirty euros a night booked through the Tourist Information Office at the train station.

The Premier Inn deals of £29.00 a night per room at selected hotels if you book 21 days in advance deal also applies to some of their Irish Hotels as well,so they may be able to get a cheap flight from Prestwick along with a cheap hotel although I must agree with the other posters once they arrive it wont be cheap by any means.

10. Re: Easy/cheap destinations from Edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2010, 07:16