We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paying deposit when booking through edlets

Santa Ynez...
Level Contributor
191 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Paying deposit when booking through edlets

We are booking for Aug 2010 through edlets. We need to pay a 100 pound deposit directly to the property owner. They are telling me that to do so via paypal will mean that we incur a 4% credit card fee and a foreign currency fee. The owner is suggesting a sterling bankers draft. Does he mean what we call a cashiers check here in the US?

How have others from the US handled paying this deposit to edlets property owners?

Thanks!

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,430 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paying deposit when booking through edlets

Don't know the answer to your question, but I would advise you to put edlets in the search box and have a look at some previous threads about them before you go any further with your booking. Maybe a bit more money but the likes of the Knights Residence which is what you might call an apartohotel gets good reviews.

edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paying deposit when booking through edlets

Would agree with fundriver as there have been a number of adverse reports / comments about edlets, especially their non refundable deposits, so you are well advised to check them out before booking.

The Knight Residence mentioned can be found in the Speciality lodgings section of tripadvisor reviews. tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g186525-c3-Edinburgh_…

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,851 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paying deposit when booking through edlets

Wherever you have decided to stay I would strongly suggest you pay at least the deposit portion by credit card. I believe that by paying 100 pounds or more by credit card, that you will have a stronger position if there is any dispute. Disclaimer: I am not an expert on credit cards, so you might want to check that out first.

Santa Ynez...
Level Contributor
191 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paying deposit when booking through edlets

Thanks all. We have already paid a refundable deposit to edlets via credit card. Agree that the protection is better when using credit card.

i have read the various edlets reviews. The particular place we chose has been reviewed by other TA users and got good reviews. I have been in direct contact with the property owner via email also.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paying deposit when booking through edlets

What PC is correct in saying that if you pay £100 by credit card then the card issuer is individually and jointly liable with suppliers (for the full amount even if first £100 was only a deposit) if you have a valid claim against the supplier for misrepresentation or breach of contract. This applies to UK and overseas purchases where the price is above £100 but no more than £30,000. However this WILL ONLY APPLY to cards issued in the UK.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paying deposit when booking through edlets

Disclaimer: Above is my interpretation of Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. There's also a 2007 House of Lords ruling confirming the cover to overseas transactions. Note that this DOESN'T apply to debit cards there is however a charge back scheme with Visa debit cards that is worth googling.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paying deposit when booking through edlets

Me again, on consulting which.co.uk/advice/…your-rights

you could pay as little as £1 as a deposit and still be covered as long as the goods themselves are between £100 to £30,000 in value. Also read somewhere that charge back can apply to Visa Credit cards which is useful to know if the goods are less than £100.

sunny glasgow
Level Contributor
309 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paying deposit when booking through edlets

As br339 is from California the Consumer Credit Act does not apply unless she or he is using a credit card issued in the UK.

This is UK legislation and gives protection to those with a credit contract entered into here and use that credit to buy goods here or abroad.

The poster will have to check the appropriate US legislation and the terms of the contract which it has although it will undoubtedly give far more protection than using a bankers draft.

9. Re: Paying deposit when booking through edlets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2010, 06:19