We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking in Leith at Night

Malta
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Walking in Leith at Night

Hi,

Do you think it's safe to walk around the Ocean Terminal to Newhaven (Premier Inn Hotel) in Leith especially at night? We will be two women and will be there during the New Year.

Thanks for your help,

Lilla

Mentioned in this post
Ocean Terminal
Ocean Terminal
495 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Leith
Leith
232 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
glasgow
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking in Leith at Night

Sorry but I would have to say be careful. although it is not far.

Malta
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking in Leith at Night

And how about daytime?

Lothians
Level Contributor
762 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking in Leith at Night

Lilla

You have not said what time of night you would be considering walking from between the 2 locations. Time of day would have a bearing on my viewpoint.

Malta
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking in Leith at Night

We are going to stay at the Premier Inn for one week. I'm talking in general here... I don't know the exact times of my journeys. I just want to know in general if the place is safe both during daytime and night time. Is it safe enough to explore the area and do some sightseeing?

In general, I don't think we will be out later then midnight except for New Years Eve.

Lothians
Level Contributor
762 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking in Leith at Night

You will get a feel for the area pretty quickly. The journey is a long a busy road, I'd not worry about walking along there with a friend.

The usual city common sense advice applies and if you are in doubt use buses or jump in a taxi. Take a look at the route and timetables for the number 11 and 16 buses:

http://lothianbuses.com/routemap.php

Taxis will be very busy at New Year so if you want to use one book it in advance and be clear on your pick up point and time.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,742 posts
611 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking in Leith at Night

Hi. I live in Edinburgh and would say that area is probably not the best at night. However, if there were 2 or more of you I would have no trouble walking. Daytime is no problem.

Taxis at New Year are notouriously difficult to find but I use Festival Cars and they are very reliable.

There is a great bus service from OT into town and I should think that there is a night bus that goes that way too

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Malta
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking in Leith at Night

Thanks for your replies :)

lisasplaces, what are festival cars?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,742 posts
611 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking in Leith at Night

Hi - this is a reliable taxi company that I use. They also will call you on your mobile when they arrive at your pick up place

Number is 0131 552 1777

Malta
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking in Leith at Night

Thanks so much for the heads up - I'll try to look them up online, maybe I can find an email address to contact them at...

edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking in Leith at Night

There should not be any problem when going between Ocean Terminal and the Premier Inn (Newhaven Place) as it is all within the old dock area. It is when you travel outwith that area, into some areas of Leith that you could encounter problems, but I think that goes for any old dock area throughout the UK.

Mentioned in this post
Ocean Terminal
Ocean Terminal
495 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Leith
Leith
232 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK