We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time visiting London / Scotland ...

singapore
2 posts
Save Topic
1st time visiting London / Scotland ...

Good-day to all.

Both me and my wife will be having our graduation ceremony in Edinburgh Campus coming November this year.

We decided to make a trip there for graduation instead of having it in Singapore.

Will be our 1st europe trip and pretty excited about it...

We are both Singaporean and already in our mid fourties and decided to make it as our 2nd honeymoon.

Perhaps someone could advise us whats best in London and Edinburgh , where could we get nearby economical hotel near the campus,interesting places, weather ,good food and so on

Will be spending almost 2 weeks time frame for this trip.Didn't hope to spend to much.

Please advise whats best for the above and what would be the best itenaries for the above.

Many thanks in advance.

Simon Ong

Loch Ness, Highlands, Glencoe...
2,039 Reviews
from US$65.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Isle of Skye and Scottish Highlands...
507 Reviews
from US$345.50*
Highlands' Isle of Skye, Hogwarts...
171 Reviews
from US$581.60*
Special Offer
3-Day Isle of Skye and Highlands Tour...
110 Reviews
from US$287.90*
US$319.90
Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
8,203 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time visiting London / Scotland ...

I'm assuming you mean the University of Edinburgh. Can you provide an address as the university buildings are spread out in different parts of the city. Is it the McEwan Hall? Lots of graduation ceremonies take place there.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,930 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time visiting London / Scotland ...

Where are you graduating in Edinburgh? There are several universities, and not all of them have a campus.

singapore
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time visiting London / Scotland ...

Oops ,sorry . Forgot to mention that we'll graduating at Heriot-Watt University (Edinburgh).

Will be staying near the campus on the day of ceremony.

Thanks

Simon Ong

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time visiting London / Scotland ...

Weather in November will be cold. There may be some nice sunny days but it can also be wet and foggy. Days are short. In London the sun rises about 7am and sets about 4.30pm. In Edinburgh, it rises about 7.30 and sets about 4.15. On dull cloudy days it will get dark even quicker.

Will you have a hire car or are you relying on public transport?

I am assuming you will want to spend a couple of days in Edinburgh itself. Glasgow is easily reached by train and is very different to Edinburgh and has a lot of good, free museums. Stirling is also easily reached by train and is a nice place for a day trip.

I like the Undiscovered Scotland website. It has lots of information and pictures.

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/

If you are wanting information about London, I suggest you make a separate posting on the London forum.

Hope this helps

Eleanor

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,600 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time visiting London / Scotland ...

The Heriot Watt Campus (at Riccarton I presume) is some way out of the city centre although there is a good bus service there is nothing much in terms of restaurants etc in that area. You should look at staying somewhere more central to the city and take a bus or taxi out to the campus on the day, it will only take around 30-40 minutes.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time visiting London / Scotland ...

I have just been writing about Autumn leaves here: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186485-i107-k30…

This prompts the idea of going to Pitlochry, easy 2 hours by train from Edinburgh. Very seasonal and different from Singapore.

I strongly support 3Nations suggestion to base yourself in town, not at the Heriot Watt campus. It makes all the difference to stroll out for your dinner.

Mentioned in this post
Pitlochry
Pitlochry
Perth and Kinross, UK
7. Re: 1st time visiting London / Scotland ...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2010, 05:19