We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sharing food in a restaurant

hong kong
Level Contributor
285 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Sharing food in a restaurant

Hi,

Is it ok to share food in a restaurant ? My friends and I don't have a big stomach. If we ask for plates, knives or spoons for dividing up the food, will the waiters/waitress pull a face ?

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,690 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sharing food in a restaurant

I would never do this. Sometimes restaurants will have a "sharing" desert on the menu. Otherwise you order a meal each.

I suppose you could negotiate a small portion before ordering. Then it's up to the restaurant.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,825 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sharing food in a restaurant

It's not normal, except for, say, a 3rd course.. As said, some restaurasnts now have'sharing' menus. Otherwise, you are expected to buy a dish each.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sharing food in a restaurant

this would only be acceptable for a small child, you are not just paying for the food, but the table space, the service and the atmosphere. It is ok to have a dish each and swap around to try things, but dont take up a table for four and order one meal.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sharing food in a restaurant

Your other option is to go to restauarants/bars that sell snacks - Spanish tapas for example.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sharing food in a restaurant

I was a bit surprised by the other replies.

I have quite often asked for food to share, and never had any problems. In fact when I go out with my partner we quite often ask for a starter to share, a main course each and then a dessert and two spoons. It is a good way of getting a bit of variety if you don't feel that hungry. No one has ever given any indication that they think it is a problem.

I wouldn't think it reasonable to ask for extra plates to divide things up etc - just say that we want to share and leave the restaurant to sort that out - you may just get an extra set of cutlery. I haven't asked for a main course to share though - although we have been known to swap half way through so we get a bit of variety. Portion sizes in the UK don't tend to be huge, and are certainly much smaller than you often find in the USA for example, so you may not find it such an issue.

In Indian and chinese and some other restaurants it is quite common to order a selection of dishes and just share - this will be understood.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sharing food in a restaurant

One main dish each is no problem, which you can share to your hearts' content. Typically restaurants will serve salads etc for people with smaller appetites.

Restaurants are only concerned about getting enough revenue to cover their fixed costs. If you're very confident, you could ask for two starters between the four of you. But they may "pull a face"

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,757 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sharing food in a restaurant

Agree that sharing starters and desserts is generally no problem, but not main courses.

Even in restaurants like Chinese and Indian where sharing dishes are common, you are still expected to order one each.

There was a massive conversation about this in the London forum a while ago - you may find it interesting reading:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k208…

glasgow
Level Contributor
815 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sharing food in a restaurant

I quite often have just 2 or 3 starters in restaurants and my wife does the same a bit like tapas.Not one restaurant has ever said no, in 4 years.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,030 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sharing food in a restaurant

Generally fine to share starters and deserts, but not mains. Depends on the restaurant though, some will not be keen to let you share any courses!

10. Re: Sharing food in a restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Edinburgh