We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pub/Club hours over Christmas

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Pub/Club hours over Christmas

We are looking at staying at the Apex International for Christmas. Some TA reviews complain about the noise from nearby pubs or clubs up until 3am.

Is this only at Festival time? Will pubs and clubs close earlier on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day?

We love the view of the castle and the look of the are, but will want to get some sleep!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
392 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pub/Club hours over Christmas

If you're easily disturbed, avoid the Grassmarket, where the Apex is located and which is one of the liveliest parts of Edinburgh.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pub/Club hours over Christmas

Thanks, we know it might be loud normally, but we only have Christmas Eve and Christmas Day in the city, so want to stay somewhere central, walking distance to the castle, and with a good Christmas lunch so we don't have to drive anywhere on Christmas Day. We can get 2 nights short break with breakfast for GBP 200 a room, so it fits our budget.

And the view of the castle from the restaurant seems to be wonderful.

That's why we are hoping that there will be early closing.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
193 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pub/Club hours over Christmas

I would suggest hoping for early closing at the busiest time of the year is not a good strategy. Christmas day should be quieter but I would Imagine "Lively" would be an understatement for Christmas Eve, sorry.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,786 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pub/Club hours over Christmas

You could check if they have double or triple glazing, but I wouldn't stay in the Grassmarket area if I was a light sleeper. It's always noisy and Xmas Eve will be very busy.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pub/Club hours over Christmas

Thanks for your comments. We have decided to risk it, and have booked upper floor castle view rooms at the Apex International. We figure that if we go to church at midnight, then we won't get to be until 2 anyway! We have booked lunch at the same hotel on Christmas Day.

We are excited to be spending Christmas in Edinburgh.

6. Re: Pub/Club hours over Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2010, 07:16