We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

highland coos

NYC, NY
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
highland coos

I'm planning to take a trip to Edinburgh in early November. I really want to see some Highland Cows, but I won't have a car, is it possible to see them in the area of Edinburgh via a walk or train/walk excursion?

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,960 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: highland coos

Prestonfield House Hotel on the south side of the city, past the Commonwealth Pool has them in the grounds. 15 minutes in a bus from the centre of town.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,627 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: highland coos

Pick up some McCowan's Highland Toffee as a souvenir (it's made in Stenhousemuir, between Edinburgh and Stirling) and has a coo on the front:

feelsweet.com/uploads/…370.jpg

According to various websites, Gorgie City Farm has a cow, but I don't know if it's the heelan variety.

www.edinburgh-festivals.com/cityguide.cfm…

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,516 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: highland coos

Gorgie farm might just be your best bet.last Highland cow I saw was several months ago in the land ajoining the Macallan distillery on Speyside.

A poem about coos.

On yonder hill there stands a coo

it must ahve moved

it no there noo!

good luck in your search Alexander.

the Gorgie farm is just outside the main city centre and lots of buses pass right by it,takes about 10-15 minutes by bus from the city centre.

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: highland coos

Did you just make that up? It was probably on your dinner plate earlier..........unless your a veggie!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,516 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: highland coos

Jackiee that is a poem by the great William Topaz McGonnegall.

Glasgow, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: highland coos

Hi

You could take a train from Edinburgh to Stirling and then get the bus to Kilmahog, just outside Callendar. (Tel no for stirling buses is 01786 442707). There you will see Hamish, a much loved highland cow. His picture is on …webshots.com/photo/74843432/74843432nIqGjc and if you type Hamish, cow and kilmahog into google, you'll find lots of other references to him.

Happy cow hunting!

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,627 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: highland coos

Is it too sceptical of me to suggest that "Hamish" is an impostor and the real Hamish was casseroled in 2002 ....

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: highland coos

William Topaz McGonnegall did you say? Topaz?? I know I'm not up to scratch with my poems but Topaz.......you're 'avin' a laugh!!

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: highland coos

Well I'm dumfoonart. I've just found a book of poems by 'Sir' William Topaz McGonnegall in a cupboard. Apologies once again for doubting you. (It's becoming a habit)

AlexanderHamilton, back to the original question. Highland cows are still a lovely sight to see. I hope you do get to see them while you're here. Enjoy your visit.

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
539 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: highland coos

Just don't get to close when Hamish swings his horns!!! A gal on our tour had a very close call!