We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corn Exchange Help!

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Corn Exchange Help!

Hi, i'm going to a gig soon in the Corn Exchange, can anyone recommend anywhere to stay, preferably within walking distance?

Would like to be able to go for a drink before or after the gig so would need to be close to pubs etc. Is the venue far out of the city? Would it be better to stay in city and just get taxi to and from venue? Help will be greatly appreciated!!

Lothians
Level Contributor
758 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Corn Exchange Help!

You are best to go for accommodation on a bus route that goes near the Corn Exchange, rather than looking for somewhere in the immediate area.

Use the Lothian Buses route map to help consider options. The 35 stops at the venue, other routes go within walking distance - 30, 25, 3, 33, 44 and 4.

http://lothianbuses.com/routemap.php

That will give you lots of options including the popular chains as well as allowing you to base yourself near bars and restaurants.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,428 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Corn Exchange Help!

Good advice in teh post above. I'll add to it by saying that as the Corn Exchange is on the West side of the city, it's a good idea to base yourself at Haymarket to avoid the bus journey through the centre. Check out both the Premier Inn at Haymarket - very well placed for the buses from Dalry Road to close to the venue, but also well placed for the centre.

edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Corn Exchange Help!

The 35 bus stops at the Corn Exchange and as that service does not go near the west end of Princes Street it avoids the traffic problems of Haymarket and George Street. Instead it travels along George IV Bridge and the Bridges so it will give you plenty of choice in the Grassmarket, Castle and the Royal Mile areas of the city centre for places to stay from Hotels to self catering apartments. In these areas there are numerous bars and clubs open till late.

A taxi out from the city centre would probably cost around about £10.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Corn Exchange Help!

Thats fantastic, now i have any idea of the areas to be looking in i can start researching the hotels! Thanks again!

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,428 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Corn Exchange Help!

The 35 does stop right outside the Corn Exchange, but that makes it practically impossible to get near the first one that comes along after a gig (I've been to many, many gigs at the Corn Exchange and live on the 35 bus route). At that time of night they are only every half hour, so you don't really want to be hanging around for the next one.

Better to walk to Slateford Road or Gorgie Road for a wider range of buses. Doesn't mean you shouldn't consider Grassmarket area in your plans - just aim to get a bus to the West End and walk through King Stables Road to the Grassmarket. The chain hotels in Lauriston Place are another option.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Corn Exchange Help!

Are there many taxi offices near by? I have never been to your lovely city before and not sure if i like the idea of walking too far at night trying to find buses! Especially if ive had a few drinks my sense of direction isnt very good! - there will be 3 of us so taxi fare shouldnt be a problem split 3 ways..

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,428 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Corn Exchange Help!

Don't worry - it's an easy straight walk. The street that the Corn Exchange is on runs between two of the main trunk routes into the city from the west. Either turn left and you'll end up at Gorgie Road or turn right and you'll end up at Slateford Road. Look up Chesser Avenue on Multimap or Google Maps and you'll see Newmarket Road (where the Corn Exchange is) is set back from Chesser Avenue. Zoom out and you'll see that Chesser Avenue connects the A70 and A71 into town. There will be plenty of people going in both directions. I'd recommend the slightly longer walk down to Gorgie Road as there are more buses.

By all means grab a taxi if one comes along first, but there's no taxi ranks that far out of the centre of town.

It really is a dead easy journey.

8. Re: Corn Exchange Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2010, 07:20