We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From US to Edinburgh: Fly to London and take train?

Santa Ynez...
Level Contributor
191 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
From US to Edinburgh: Fly to London and take train?

We are traveling to Edinburgh in August 2010. Flat is already booked. I'm looking at flights and it is a lot cheaper to fly to London than to Edinburgh. What would the cost and hassle be to take a train from London to Edinburgh? How much time does the train ride itself take? I assume that we would have to fly into London and then get a cab to the train station? Is it better to fly into Heathrow or Gatwick if we go this route?

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
London
London
England, UK
Loch Ness, Highlands, Glencoe...
2,037 Reviews
from US$65.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Isle of Skye and Scottish Highlands...
507 Reviews
from US$346.40*
Highlands' Isle of Skye, Hogwarts...
170 Reviews
from US$583.00*
Special Offer
3-Day Isle of Skye and Highlands Tour...
109 Reviews
from US$288.60*
US$320.70
Level Contributor
259 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From US to Edinburgh: Fly to London and take train?

Hi,

Same situation here only trying to get from Glasgow to London for flight back to Chicago. You might be surprised how cheap fights are from London (even Heathrow) to Scotland. Check them out at whichbudget.com or kayak.com

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
London
London
England, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From US to Edinburgh: Fly to London and take train?

It's about a 4-hour train ride from King's Cross to Waverly Station in Edinburgh. You can take the Tube from Heathrow to King's Cross. It took me about 45 minutes at 7 in the AM. Alternatively look into flying into Glasgow. Up until about four years ago, American Airlines had a seasonal direct flight from Chicago to Glasgow. It was sweet because you avoided Heathrow. I've heard some rumors that it may come back. If it's coming it will show up in the next month or two. Pam

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,039 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: From US to Edinburgh: Fly to London and take train?

If your intention is to arrive in the UK then go directly to Edinburgh, then my advice is to fly to Edinburgh from LGW / LHR as it's substantially less hassle

If you do decide to train it then fly to Gatwick as you can get a direct train to Kings Cross from Gatwick (just avoid pre-10:00am weekdays) and you can buy a single ticket to cover you from Gatwick to Edinburgh

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
12,343 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From US to Edinburgh: Fly to London and take train?

Hi, Continental fly daily from New York Newark to Glasgow and also Edinburgh although check where in the US that flight comes from, but i am pretty sure it comes from Newark also, there is a US Airways flight to Glasgow also from Philadelphia

The 4 hours quoted for the train is the fastest one as most are slightly longer, if at all possible try and get a connecting flight as the time and cost may be just as competitive as the train.

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
42,756 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From US to Edinburgh: Fly to London and take train?

As others have said I would not be thinking of getting a train if I was already travelling through the airport. Also I would be looking at transitting say through Amsterdam or Frankfurt to get to Edinburgh if London is not on your itinerary.

This would give you a greater choice of flights.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Frankfurt
Frankfurt
Hesse, Germany
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
London
London
England, UK
6. Re: From US to Edinburgh: Fly to London and take train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2010, 05:19