We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Devils Kitchen - 80 Queen Street is it open

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Devils Kitchen - 80 Queen Street is it open

I've been told this is a good place to go & have tried to book using the phone number on their website. I can't get through & would like to know if it's still open. Some parts on the website appear to be out of date eg christmas menus etc so I'm not sure if it has closed down.

If it is closed can anyone suggest anywhere else near to India St where we will be staying?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Devils Kitchen - 80 Queen Street is it open

Certainly the bar at that location is open, it was The Queen Street Bar or a similar name, then The Drum and Monkey after which it was bought by Punch Taverns and the name changed again. It was closed for a while are reopened again perhaps two months ago. I'm going out this afternoon and I'll have a look and see what it is called currently.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Devils Kitchen - 80 Queen Street is it open

Its not listed on the Punch Taverns website.

Scotland
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Devils Kitchen - 80 Queen Street is it open

I have not been up that way for quite a while ,but I do remember when it was Denzler's resturant many many years ago,as a young man it was the first real Posh resturant that I had ever been to.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Devils Kitchen - 80 Queen Street is it open

So it was, I'd forgotten that. That must be 30 years ago!

Scotland
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Devils Kitchen - 80 Queen Street is it open

quite possible a few years more than that................... I am now feeling extremly old.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,558 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Devils Kitchen - 80 Queen Street is it open

I had a walk past this afternoon and it is now called Eighty Queen Street Bar and Restaurant. So the Devils Kitchen is no longer there. I have to confess I'd never heard of it. However a Google search brings up an address at 28 Albany Street but on that side of the road its all residental and office property. A seach of the Edinburgh Council database doesn't bring up a change of planning use. The mystery is solved if you do a search of Companies House in Edinburgh using the company number given on the website, the reason the phone number is not working is:

THE DEVIL'S KITCHEN CATERING COMPANY LIMITED

In the same general area I like Whighams Wine Bar http://www.whighams.com/

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Devils Kitchen - 80 Queen Street is it open

Thanks so much for the replies. I will have a look at Whigams.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Devils Kitchen - 80 Queen Street is it open

Redwood Restaurant and also The Stockbridge Restaurant are 5 mins walk from India Street and are on lovely St Stephen Street where a number of good bars are in the vicinity.

There have been a lot of good reviews from the press for Redwood.

9. Re: Devils Kitchen - 80 Queen Street is it open

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2010, 05:19