We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pubs and Children

Oban, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
107 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Pubs and Children

The last time I was in Edinburgh with my daughter, who was about 9-10 at the time, I seem to remember some difficulty accessing pubs especially in the Rose Street area. I was wondering what the current situation is, ie is there still a problem getting a child in or do you have to go a chain place like Wetherspoons? My daughter is now 13 by the way.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,525 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pubs and Children

I would expect the rules regarding minors going into pubs would be the same in Oban as it is in Edinburgh. Generally, 14 year olds can go in pubs if they are eating in the restaurant but obviously can't have alcohol.

Wetherspoons will probably be your best bet. The Standing Order in George Street is a half decent Wetherspoons pub

Mentioned in this post
Oban
Oban
Argyll and Bute, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
The Standing Order
The Standing Order
1,271 Reviews
Edinburgh, UK
Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
8,242 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pubs and Children

A lot of pubs expect children to have eaten and be out by a specific time - I think it's 7pm.

High Spen, UK
Level Contributor
325 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pubs and Children

Scottish licensing laws make it hard to get a childrens license - it is different from England (unless it has changed recently, someone else might know). This means most pubs in Scotland simply cannot let under 14 year olds into a bar. Wetherspoons have a "2 drink only" rule for people with children although I don't think it is enforced, certainly during the day I see loads of kids in the wetherspoons in Newcastle. Very different at night, you probably won't get into a Wetherspoons with a 13 year old.

There must be a way of finding out which pubs have a childrens license - ideas anyone?

Mentioned in this post
England
England
United Kingdom
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Newcastle
Newcastle
County Down, UK
Wetherspoons
Wetherspoons
490 Reviews
London, UK
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,881 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pubs and Children

a couple of years ago I contacted Edinburgh Council Licensing dept asking them about Childrens licences and pubs in which children would be allowed.They could not give me a definitive answer (strange),but did say that though many place do have licences they chose not to implement them and others that do impose their own restrictions on when children are allowed in the bars.

If they do not serve food then there will not be a license and even when they do serve food children are limited to certain areas and to certain times.

The only thing you can really do is for one adult to ask in the bar as to the policy on children and follow their rules.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
High Spen, UK
Level Contributor
325 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pubs and Children

if you google "edinburgh child friendly pubs" there is a site called edinburghvilla.com that has a long list of where and when you can take children into pubs. Probably best to ring the pubs as well though in case this has changed.

Oban, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
107 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pubs and Children

Thanks for all your replies. I'm keen to avoid a repeat of walking in to a bar with child in Rose Street a few years ago and being looked at as if I had brought in a wild animal. Here's to the days when Scotland can become more continental in this regard, instead of just pretending with a few stools and chairs placed outside in the wild elements!

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,868 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pubs and Children

I agree Crazyhorse - I love Scotland, it's my home from home, and there was a time when the Scottish licensing laws were the envy of us lot south of the border. But the current Scottish restrictions on kids in pubs are so stupid!

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,525 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pubs and Children

These rules are made for a reason. Is a pub the right place for kids to be in? If you want to take kids out for a meal, go to a Harvester or somewhere like that. Pubs are full of drunk, sweary punters. Leave them to the grown-ups.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,868 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pubs and Children

'Pubs are full of drunk, sweary punters.'

No, that lot are standing in the doorway having a fag!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
539 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pubs and Children

"Pubs are full of drunk, sweary punters."

Fortunately not any of the pubs I have been in with my offspring.

And if I want to take them for some food Harverster/Brewers Fayre or similar would be a last resort. In fact scrub that - I would not go into one of those places at all.

MacDonalds would be preferable.