We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh - where to ask THE question!

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh - where to ask THE question!

Help!

I am almost lost. Not just because I am about to ask her if she's willing to endure my caprices for good.

Trying to be superromantic I booked a two-day trip to Edinburgh (22 and 23 of Jan 2010). Now is the question: where to make the proposal?

It should not be too busy - rather romantic and it should be not so much of a big deal to get there.

I read about Cramond island - is really nice there?

If the weather is really as it is likely to be: where could I do this indors?? (I know the castle but it should be quite crowed I guess).

Thank you very much: Best answer can expect to be at the wedding.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,837 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh - where to ask THE question!

First of all, good luck and congratulations (I hope!).

I would forget Cramond Island as an option. It will be cold, bleak, windswept... and people regularly get cut off by misjudging the tide as well. That would not make for a happy engagement!

For alternative suggestions, what sort of thing did you have in mind? You could go for cocktails at Oloroso (www.oloroso.co.uk), which has fantastic views of the castle, if you want to be indoors and toasting the occasion. If the weather is kind, you could go for a walk along the water of Leith walkway from the Dean Village to Stockbridge, pausing for a proposal at St Bernard's Well, which is a lovely romantic spot. (See: http://www.waterofleith.org.uk/walkway/). If you're even more energetic, how about the top of Arthur's Seat? Or the hothouses at the Botanical Gardens? (www.rbge.org.uk). Or possibly the most cliched for Edinburgh residents - the top of the Scott Monument?

If you want to pop the question over a romantic meal, we can come up with plenty of suggestions for cosy, atmospheric restaurants too.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,951 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh - where to ask THE question!

I agree about Arthur's Seat.

Also, what about West Register House?

edinburgharchitecture.co.uk/general_register…

You can also get details there of how and when to get married at the same time!

There might be some Burns Suppers on at that time which could take her breath away, and many of Burns songs are very romantic...eg Ae fond kiss (search for Eddi Reader, guaranteed to melt hearts.) Stick it on her ipod and Bob's your uncle, as we say.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,742 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh - where to ask THE question!

The top of Calton Hill perhaps?

http://images.google.co.uk/images?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&hl=en&source=hp&q=calton+hill+edinburgh&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&oq= (sorry, a copy and paste job)

www.edinburghguide.com/parks/caltonhill

Followed by dinner at the Witchery?

http://www.thewitchery.com/info.html

Whatever you decide, hope you both enjoy your romantic trip to this lovely city!

Edited: 08 January 2010, 17:45
edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh - where to ask THE question!

With the current weather conditions why not think about Edinburgh Castle, either just before or after the One o'clock gun is fired. That will give a time date and place for you both to remember. You can then walk down the Castle Esplanade for lunch at the Witchery in the Secret Garden.

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edinburgh - where to ask THE question!

First of all thank you for the suggestions. It really helps and inspires.

For dinner I think about “The Khukuri” a superb but subdued Nepalese restaurant.

I think the Witchery is a really good indoor option (just hope that she doesn’t see it as a broad hint!).

Also Arthurs Seat looks fine to me. Same counts for Carlton Hill. Just depends on the weather…

Would you recommend Craigmillar Castle?

Can you recommend a site with ocean view?

Glasgow
Level Contributor
539 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edinburgh - where to ask THE question!

You could go to South Queensferry with the view of the Forth Bridges.

I have enjoyed this place before http://www.theboathouse-sq.co.uk/

alyth, scotland
Level Contributor
661 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Edinburgh - where to ask THE question!

couragious of you to try & do this in Edinburgh

2 places spring to mind

Deap Sea World in North Queensferry - definately indoors & from recent newspaper articles, they are game to help out with your proposal - in a diving suit, meeting some rather large sharks on the way?

www.deepseaworld.com

the other is a bit more traditional & a slightly longer busride

Rosslyn Chapel - looks the part (used in the film Da Vinci Code)

www.rosslynchapel.org.uk

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,862 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Edinburgh - where to ask THE question!

Edinburgh Castle is iconic and known all over the world. Every New Year's eve it's image is beamed around the world as the fireworks go off at midnight. Choosing a spot in Edinburgh Castle, you will often be reminded of that day. What about in the chapel at the top of the castle, apparently the oldest building in Edinburgh, which is quite a boast!

edinburghcastle.gov.uk/index/tour/highlights…

Best wishes

PC

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,178 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Edinburgh - where to ask THE question!

I will second that suggestion.

St. Margaret's Chapel,right at the top of the Castle rock dates from around 1100 and is a very special place.

It might serve your purpose very well.

Edited: 10 January 2010, 22:29
Chicago, IL
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Edinburgh - where to ask THE question!

That is amazing! This place would the ideal for me if i was to be proposed to. Edinburgh is magical, and still maintains its old time charm while being so up to date with the times through its festivals.

#1 spot to propose would be Arthur's Seat.

--The view is truly amazing and its a climb every edinburgh traveler should do. The amazing journey to the top of the hill would symbolize the amazing journey you two will begin together once she says YES!!

Also, if your interested in a romantic dinner setting whther for the proposal or just to have a nice dinner, the Olive Branch Bistro is very quaint and beautiful.