We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No under 18's in Edinburgh pubs

swansea
Level Contributor
42 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
No under 18's in Edinburgh pubs

Just a word of warning for those of us who travel with under 18's - a strict no under 18's policy is in place in Edinburgh city centre - even the quiet pubs that serve food won't take anyone who looks under 18 - such a shame - another 18 months before it's worth our returning!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,917 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No under 18's in Edinburgh pubs

Why is this, do you know? (or anyone?)

(By the way, I don't see it as a bad move)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,186 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: No under 18's in Edinburgh pubs

that is just not true,there are many pubs in the city with children's licenses but no pubs will allow children in after 8.00pm

swansea
Level Contributor
42 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No under 18's in Edinburgh pubs

No, it took us by surprise - our daughter is nearly 17 but looks younger and it's nice to go for a drink before going on to a restaurant. I'm not in favour of kids in each and every pub - lots of people go out to get away for the night and we wouldn't expect to to to a young people's trendy bar with her either, but we were surprised that even the quiet pubs had this policy. In Swansea once you're 16 you can buy a soft drink in a pub - although the city centre noisier places don't allow under 18's - the Edinburgh policy seemed a little unfriendly in a tourist destination.

Beware Ireland - they changed the policy a few years back and it even affected bars in hotels.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,739 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No under 18's in Edinburgh pubs

Gus is right - under 18 are allowed in pubs if they have a children's licence. I'm not a great pub-goer, but I was in Bennett's Bar last week and there was a family with two kids next to us. They were eating and it was about 7pm.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,789 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No under 18's in Edinburgh pubs

This sounds a bit suspect to me - unless the OP went into every single pub in the city centre to check. Could be a sweeping generalisation based on one or two experiences?

OP - which pub(s) was it that your 17 year old wasn't allowed a soft drink?

swansea
Level Contributor
42 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No under 18's in Edinburgh pubs

We tried Doctors up by the Museum/University Saturday afternoon which is where we were told about the policy, we then, later that evening, around 7pm walked to our restaurant in Dublin Street and asked in a few on the way - including Cafe Royale and were, in each place, told no - although two said yes but only if eating in their restaurant areas and that very, very few city centre places would allow under 18's any more - the only suggestion we were offered was Tiles but we'd walked past that by then. We prefer to ask where there is no policy on the door. We ended up giving up and going to our restaurant 1/4 hr early. Every bar person was hugely friendly but it was always no. Next time we'll have to post a query about where we can go before we go for the weekend.

glasgow
Level Contributor
871 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No under 18's in Edinburgh pubs

I had my 12 year old nephew in Tiger Lilly last week, while I had something to eat and in the Dome at Christmas

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,186 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: No under 18's in Edinburgh pubs

I think the problem you ran into was that children (a 17y.o is counted as a child) are only allowed in the pub if they are eating,they cannot just come in for a soft drink with their parents.

here in Scotland we had some big changes to our licensing laws last September and many local authorities are unclear on their interpitation and implementation of the various laws,if they are unclear then the publicans have no chance and play cautiously,sorry that you maybe got caught up in all the ambiguity.

Edited: 18 January 2010, 18:50
Glasgow
Level Contributor
539 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No under 18's in Edinburgh pubs

My local - admittedly in Glasgow - does not require the children to be eating. As long as they are off the premises by 8pm they are welcome to come in and drink with adults (soft drinks obviously)

There has been a bit of a stooshie this past week or so where the licensing authority are suggesting that children must be supervised at all times. So a 13 year old girl in pub with her father would not be able to go to the ladies on her own!

I do hope common sense will prevail.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
164 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No under 18's in Edinburgh pubs

I am a licensee in Edinburgh and hopefully I can clear a few things up. First of all a 17yo is not classified as a child under the 2005 licensing act. They are classified as a "young person".

The old law permitted unaccompanied young people over the age of 14 to purchase and consume soft drinks on a licensed premises and allowed the sale of a range alcohol to 16 and 17 year olds as long as they were purchasing a meal at the same time in a part of the premises especially set aside for the consumption of food.

Under the new law, each licensed premises now has a list of conditions imposed by the licensing authority which they must adhere to in order to serve alcohol. These conditions differ for each establishment depending on the operating plan submitted to the licensing board and in general, in Edinburgh establishments who didn’t have a substantial food offer had a condition imposed that no under 18s were allowed on the premises at any time.

If the establishment has a childrens certificate then under 18s are only allowed on the premises if both adults and children/young person are consuming a “substantial” meal, have to leave by certain times, be supervised and leave within a period of time after finishing their meal.

Most pubs that do food and don’t have a separate dining area were reluctant to apply for a childrens certificate due to the prohibitive cost and alterations required.

The law also changed to say that although young people aged 16 and 17 can still consume some types of alcohol in a restaurant or a separate part of a premises set aside especially for the consumption of food, it must be bought for them by someone over the age of 18.

I constantly have to turn away visitors with children under 18 to my pub who pop in for some refreshment after being out and about after exploring Edinburgh all day. It also is very inconvenient for families who have been out to the theatre or cinema who then have to drop their kids off back at the hotel so that the parents can go for a drink in the pub next door.

In my opinion its made a very child unfriendly country even more so, but please dont blame the pubs and licensees, remember its the law. We didnt make it but we have to enforce it or face stiff fines, imprisonment or the removal of our license to sell alcohol.