We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newcastle to Edinburgh--

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Newcastle to Edinburgh--

I'm visiting the UK for the first time the first week in February. I'll be traveling from Newcastle to Edinburgh after some business meetings. What are the pro's and cons of the different options (rail or driving)?

I don't really want to drive in the city, but I think I'd really enjoy the drive along the coast on A1 from Newcastle. I think I'd really like to stop and check out some of the towns along the way. Is it a pretty straightforward drive? Does anyone know if the car companies do 1 way rentals?

Thanks so much for your advice.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,076 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newcastle to Edinburgh--

There is a good, frequent,train service but it is an easy drive as long as the weather is reasonable.

Coming up the coast,Alnwick,Bamburgh and Berwick are all worth a look.

If you go inland,Housesteads Roman Fort on Hadrian's Wall is not to be missed.

It probably won't be cheap,but any of the major companies will do a one way rental.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,836 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newcastle to Edinburgh--

I drove that route at Christmas. Almost everywhere on the coast has something of interest, or is simply good to look at.

Seahouses, Bamburgh, Lindisfarne. Berwick (the border town has changed hands umpteen times), Eyemouth, Dunbar (birthplace of John Muir - good museum there); Tantallon Castle, North Berwick, Gullane.....

Lots of castles.

It's a good train ride, too, but obviously you can't stop and explore wherever takes your fancy.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,848 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Newcastle to Edinburgh--

The main problem is that it being February is that it's likely to be bleak but if you get a good day it's a wonderful experience whether you travel via the coast (take the road to the coast from Alnwick) or up along the A68 into the Borders

If you want to avoid city driving then pick up the car at Newcastle Airport (Metro from city centre) which has easy access to the A696 (for the road to the A68) or the A1. You can drop it off at Edinburgh Airport if you don't fancy driving into Edinburgh as there is a frequent coach service to the centre of Edinburgh

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
988 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newcastle to Edinburgh--

The major car hire companies do offer one-way rentals, but are usually more expensive. Europcar has a car hire location with Edinburgh's main railway station.

The drive from Newcastle to Edinburgh is quite pleasant (A1 along the coast or A68 over Carter Bar). The train journey offers even better coastal views - particularly around the England-Scotland border just north of Berwick-upon-Tweed - and is much quicker than driving. See www.eastcoast.co.uk

High Spen, UK
Level Contributor
325 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newcastle to Edinburgh--

The drive, if done in one go will take about 2.5 hours. The train 1.5 hours. The train offers better views and is much more relaxing. If its your first time in the UK though I would recommend the car so that you can stop at Lindisfarne (Holy Island, check the tide tables carefully!) Alnwick or Bamburgh. These are probably the most impressive places with big castles and nice beaches (Alnwick is inland but you get good views towards the Cheviot hills).l

High Spen, UK
Level Contributor
325 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newcastle to Edinburgh--

The drive, if done in one go will take about 2.5 hours. The train 1.5 hours. The train offers better views and is much more relaxing. If its your first time in the UK though I would recommend the car so that you can stop at Lindisfarne (Holy Island, check the tide tables carefully!) Alnwick or Bamburgh. These are probably the most impressive places with big castles and nice beaches (Alnwick is inland but you get good views towards the Cheviot hills).l

7. Re: Newcastle to Edinburgh--

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2010, 05:18