We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving and Parking Horror Stories: Myth?

Texas
Level Contributor
249 posts
230 reviews
Save Topic
Driving and Parking Horror Stories: Myth?

We are planning on staying 2 nights and 3 days in Edinburgh at Ramsay's Bed and Breakfast because of their stellar reviews. However, I just found out that they do not have free private parking. We would have to use metered street parking.

We will tour Edinburg for 1 day and the last 2 days we will driving exploring the country.

I have heard nothing but horror stories about driving and parking in Edinburgh. We have driven in Melbourne and Cairns Australia without issue.

Would it be better to get a different B&B further from the city with free private parking and ride the metro or are the horror stories just an urban myth?

Thanks

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,523 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving and Parking Horror Stories: Myth?

Virtually all of them are true - the one about the traffic warden ticketing a hearse is - I believe - untrue.

There isn't a metro in Edinburgh, there are lots (some same too many) buses though

However Ramseys B&B isn't too far from the edge of the zone

download.edinburgh.gov.uk/ResParkingZones.pdf

2. Re: Driving and Parking Horror Stories: Myth?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2017, 11:00
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,974 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving and Parking Horror Stories: Myth?

I gave up using a car about 5 years ago as even then it was diiffcult and expensive trying to park in the city.As to trying to drive in the city,if you are used to it ,itis at best a nightmare ,for tourists i would hate to think how bad it can be.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,118 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving and Parking Horror Stories: Myth?

The one about the traffic warden ticketing a hearse is true.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/2685067.stm

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving and Parking Horror Stories: Myth?

If you have already got a hire car arranged for your trip prior to arriving in Edinburgh then the best advice is to park it at one of the free "park and ride" facilities which ring the city and take the bus in to the centre £1.20 cost. You can then either walk or take a taxi for the last section of the journey if the particular bus does not go by your B&B.

edinburgh.gov.uk/internet/…cec_park_and_rides

Even the 5 star hotel guests at the Balmoral have got parking tickets for stopping to unload their luggage! scotsman.com/scotland/Anger-as--Edinburgh-le…

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,655 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving and Parking Horror Stories: Myth?

The Scottish Rugby Team bus also received a parking ticket. My particular favourite is a car had all 4 wheels stolen and was still given a ticket. …scotsman.com/trafficwardensandparkingregula…

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,523 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving and Parking Horror Stories: Myth?

<<< Even the 5 star hotel guests at the Balmoral have got parking tickets for stopping to unload their luggage! >>>

Apparently the Balmoral has done a deal whereby they control the parking outside the hotel

Texas
Level Contributor
249 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving and Parking Horror Stories: Myth?

Are you suggesting, something like this?

Day 1: Arrive 8am take taxifrom airport to b&b

Day 2: Get rental from airport, tour country, return car and ride taxi back to b&b

Day 3: Same as day 2

Texas
Level Contributor
249 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving and Parking Horror Stories: Myth?

The PDF map you included, reserved parking zones. Is that reserved for public or private?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,523 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving and Parking Horror Stories: Myth?

It's not a case of public or private, within the zones you need either a residents permit or pay for on-street parking on an hourly basis