We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh to Inverness for 2 days

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,398 posts
369 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh to Inverness for 2 days

I am considering extending a short trip to Edinburgh by including 2 days/nights in Inverness.

I can do this by organised coach trip (Spend two days exploring Loch Ness and Inverness, past and present, on a small group trip to the Highlands from Edinburgh (see link below for details)

Or, I could do this myself by taking train to Inverness and going it alone using public transport and/or local tour companies based there. I don't want to spend all my time in Inverness but would like it to be a base for a decent day trip into the highlands.

What would you do?

…viator.com/en/…d739-225001

1. Re: Edinburgh to Inverness for 2 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2010, 13:13
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,398 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh to Inverness for 2 days

WOW - that was fast !!!. That's kind of what I was thinking, thanks a lot. However having briefly had a look around the Inverness forum, it looks like the organised tour might not be long enough for me. I'll investigate further, maybe I will extend the trip for another day or two. Anyway, plenty of time as I am not going until mid July.

Greetings from Cork on a stunningly beautiful Sunday morning. (after the forecasters told us we were in for rain!)

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,814 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh to Inverness for 2 days

I'd go for an independent trip. Edinburgh - Inverness is easy, quick and scenic by train. While you are there you will be able to make day trips to Loch Ness, Urquhart Castle etc, either independently or on day trips by coach. And a day trip on the scenic Kyle of Lochalsh train lne is highly recommended.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh to Inverness for 2 days

If you do decide to do the Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh rail trip, think about getting off at Plockton, a delightful small seaside village and then catch the next train to Kyle.

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/plockton/plockton…

There is also the railway line north (another good run) from Inverness to either Thurso or Wick (same train - it splits at Georgemas Junction). I personally think Thurso is the nicer town.

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/thurso/…index.html

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/wick/…index.html

If you go to Wick you could always catch the service bus back down the coast (good run through nice scenery) and pick up the train at Helmsdale again.

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/helmsdale/helmsda…

You can also get a bus to Culloden

http://www.nts.org.uk/culloden/

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/inverness/…

and from there you can walk to Clava Cairns.

undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/inverness/clavaca…

Information on this thread:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186543-i626-k30…

There are plenty of day trips from Inverness.

http://www.invernesstours.com/

Loch Ness (including the Loch Ness monster exhibition...) and Urquhart Castle to Fort Augustus is always popular.

It is even possible to go to Orkney on a (very long) day trip:

http://www.jogferry.co.uk/inver.htm

Eleanor

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,398 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edinburgh to Inverness for 2 days

Thanks all, I'm considering going it alone because the two day organised tour does not actually give much time in Inverness itself, but rather uses it just as an overnight stop.

Thanks for all the links. I'll let you know what I end up doing.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Edinburgh to Inverness for 2 days

I would do the independent trip. You can do the train ride that has been mentioned. It's really good. And you can take the public bus to Culloden and see the Battlefield. There is a new Visitor Center that's very good. And, if you are interested in stone circles you can walk over the Clava Cairns. There are also tours that you take to Loch Ness and Urqhart Castle. PAm

7. Re: Edinburgh to Inverness for 2 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2010, 05:19