We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking about a trip from London need some advice

AAS
Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
408 posts
201 reviews
Save Topic
Thinking about a trip from London need some advice

I will be in Europe in early June for business different city/country every night. I am flying in and out of London but not spending anytime in the UK. My husband would like to meet me at the end of my trip but we have been to London 4 or 5 times already. Thinking about heading North to check out Scotland and have a few questions.

What is the best way to get from London to Edinburgh? Looks like the train is about 5 hours - he would be flying into Heathrow but I did not see that BA flies to Edinburgh would anyone else fly from there or is the train best?

How much time? Is 3 or 4 days enough time - don't need to see the whole of Scotland just the city and maybe a day trip or two.

Is Glasglow worth a trip - can you combine the two cities or is that too much for 4 days?

Thanks!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
539 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking about a trip from London need some advice

There are regular flights from Heathrow to both Edinburgh and Glasgow, so realistically it would make sense to fly rather than get into London to get a train. (BA do about 8 flights a day from Heathrow to Edinburgh for example so not sure where you have been looking)

Glasgow and Edinburgh are less than an hour apart by train so it is easy to stay in one and see the other. During week days at peak times there are four trains an hour between the two cities.

A few days in either city will give you a pleasant break with the opportunity to sample things further afield by public transport as short day trips.

Feel free to ask for more info but you now have the start of a plan.

Edited: 19 March 2010, 19:13
Glasgow
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking about a trip from London need some advice

BA and BMI both fly from Heathrow to Edinburgh.

Leeds
Level Contributor
8 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking about a trip from London need some advice

4 days is probably enough time to see Edinburgh and Glasgow but I wouldn't spend much time going further afield. Scotland deserves a much longer trip so why not enjoy the big two cities now and visit Scotland at a later date?

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thinking about a trip from London need some advice

Or ... you could maybe combine Edinburgh and Inverness, for more of a contrast and a chance to see some countryside in between.

You might take the sleeper train from London to Inverness, have the next daya and overnight there, then make the 3.5 hour train trip back from Inverness to Edinburgh for 2 or 3 days there, and either get the train back to London for a final overnight before flying home, or get a flight from Edinburgh that connects to whichever airport you are flying home from.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Thinking about a trip from London need some advice

There is so much to do and see around Edinburgh and Glasgow. Have a look at this thread for ideas:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186525-i108-k34…

If you have a car there are suggestions for seld drive tours on this thread:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186485-i107-k34…

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
1 post
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thinking about a trip from London need some advice

I went to Edinburgh last year, and if I had hit the city hardcore, probably could've done it in 3 days or so as far as the major sites. There are also day tours you can take that hit certain points of Scotland. We took an 8-hour tour from Edinburgh that took us up through the Highlands, to Loch Ness, and back along a route dotted with castles and historic sites.

There are good local tours that you can take for less hours if you want to get out of the city for a while.

scotland
Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thinking about a trip from London need some advice

I agree with everyone on flying to Edinburgh rather than taking the train. From the opinion on someone who lives in Scotland I don't think there's much to see in Glasgow (its good for shopping but you can do that anywhere). I think you should head further north and visit Stirling or Invernes, both of which are gorgeous and have a lot of history.

Bedford, England
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thinking about a trip from London need some advice

I wouldn't have wanted to miss the Burrell collection in Glasgow- one of the most fascinating museums I've ever visited although it is not Scottish in terms of its content.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
539 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thinking about a trip from London need some advice

"I don't think there's much to see in Glasgow"

Thank goodness thousands of tourists disagree.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
992 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thinking about a trip from London need some advice

Personally I prefer taking the train from London to Edinburgh rather than flying. By the time you've got to and from airports, the security check, etc, there's not much time difference. If you are flying straight into Heathrow that's another matter entirely - there are numerous flights on both BA and BMI from Heathrow to Edinburgh. If you do want to try the train, see www.eastcoast.co.uk

I entirely disagree with reply 7 on not much to see in Glasgow. Although I recommend staying at a hotel in Edinburgh, note that Glasgow is a fantastic city with some of the best museums in Europe. See www.glasgowmuseums.com