We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Somewhere quality, with atmosphere for good casual lunches?

Cotswolds, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Somewhere quality, with atmosphere for good casual lunches?

I am visiting Edinburgh with an American tourist and would like a couple of places to go for two good casual lunches. I do not want to go to any chain or formula places. I would like one to be traditional and old fashioned and the other can be more modern. Driving a few mikes is not an issue. I have looked about and come up with Valvona and Crolla, not sure which location and The Urban Angel again not sure which locationl.

Any advise and recommends from Edinburgh residents or regular visitors would be greatly appreciated.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,851 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Somewhere quality, with atmosphere for good casual lunches?

I quite like Amber at the top of the Royal Mile at the rear of the Scotch Whisky Experience:

amber-restaurant.co.uk/amber_restaurant_edin…

Howies has gone down well with American friends in the past. There are a few branches and each has a different vibe. The one on Waterloo Place tends to be a bit less busy and is very nice, though its more modern looking:

http://www.howies.uk.com/

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
9,590 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Somewhere quality, with atmosphere for good casual lunches?

Its a wee bit out of town but so quaint and with loads of history and great views

vintageinn.co.uk/thehawesinnsouthqueensferry

Its The Hawes Inn South Queensferry. I know its a bit of a "chain" but it hides it well - apart from that its perfect!!! We stayed there for a wedding and I wish we had more time to try the menu, which looked scrumptious. Your American friend may also find the history rather interesting.

Woody x

Edited: 04 April 2010, 16:37
Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,769 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Somewhere quality, with atmosphere for good casual lunches?

Daniels in Commercial Street, Leith , really good Scots/French food in a modern setting & handy if visiting the Royal Yacht Britania and well priced lunch. Agree about 'The Hawes' great setting and for 'chain' food better than most.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,789 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Somewhere quality, with atmosphere for good casual lunches?

The Grain Store in Victoria Street does a good set lunch. It's a lovely atmosphere - very Edinburgh Old Town feel - and uses a lot of Scottish ingredients.

http://www.grainstore-restaurant.co.uk

Scotland
Level Contributor
46 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Somewhere quality, with atmosphere for good casual lunches?

If you want to impress them, look no further than the Dome on George Street, it's stunning, but pricey, Cafe Royal off St Andrews Square is also nice old scottish pub which serves food.

Cheers

Cotswolds, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Somewhere quality, with atmosphere for good casual lunches?

Thanks everyone for your advice, we will try some of these.

7. Re: Somewhere quality, with atmosphere for good casual lunches?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2010, 05:16