We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do NOT use Edinburgh Tours/Prestige Tours ****

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
165 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Do NOT use Edinburgh Tours/Prestige Tours ****

I booked a tour for Stirling Castle/Loch Lomond for July and just received an email that the company is in liquidation and has ceased trading. It has been assigned an official account liquidator and has cancelled the tours, instructing people to contact their financial institutions to get refunds.

However, I went to the website and there is nothing on there letting anyone know what is going on. tTankfully my bank is letting me dispute the charge, even though it's a bit more complicated being international.

I'm posting this to perhaps prevent any other tourists from being otherwise inconvenienced, as I am now.

Even though I'm now annoyed, I still can't wait to arrive in Scotland in July.. yay!

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do NOT use Edinburgh Tours/Prestige Tours ****

Always pay for things like this by credit card. Once you pay by bank transfer, they have your money,and you have to work *much* harder to get it back.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
165 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do NOT use Edinburgh Tours/Prestige Tours ****

I did pay by credit card. Its just annoying that I have to dispute the card along official channels because the company isnt giving out the refunds directly.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do NOT use Edinburgh Tours/Prestige Tours ****

Apolgies, I was confused by reference to 'my bank' rather than 'my credit card company.

Anyway at least you are in the clear, thanks for the heads up, can you post the exact URLs because I think there may be more than one Prestige tours company.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
539 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do NOT use Edinburgh Tours/Prestige Tours ****

If the company are in liquidation they have no money to refund you, which is why you get it back from your card company. (basically)

Edited: 09 April 2010, 18:45
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
18 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do NOT use Edinburgh Tours/Prestige Tours ****

Is this the address and tour company you are talking about. I am only asking as I was ready to book a three day and two night Isle of Skye with them.

Edinburgh Tours.net

MJ

Loch Lomond
Level Contributor
2,992 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do NOT use Edinburgh Tours/Prestige Tours ****

For information "Liquidation" equates to "Chapter 11" in the USA.

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do NOT use Edinburgh Tours/Prestige Tours ****

This is the company...

http://www.scottishtours.co.uk/

watch out because it looks like is still possible to book a trip.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
165 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do NOT use Edinburgh Tours/Prestige Tours ****

UPDATE** I did receive my money back from my bank (I used a debit VISA to pay for my tour). I gave them the liquidation notice from the Sheriff of Glasgow which had the name and address of the accountant in charge of the liquidation. My bank located her number and she was able to facilitate my refund with my bank. My cousin's bank in London gave her a very hard time when she tried to get hers, though, which I found slighty amusing since the chargeback law is a UK law and not an American one. It took about one week to get my refund from the day I filled out the papers.

Beware, this company still has their Edinburgh Tours/Prestige Tours page up on the internet with no advisement they are in liquidation. I ended up re-booking with Highland Experience tours for my Stirling/Loch Lomond tour.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,704 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do NOT use Edinburgh Tours/Prestige Tours ****

I have a feeling that the website might vanish shortly.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
165 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do NOT use Edinburgh Tours/Prestige Tours ****

I don't know what the laws are in the UK about advertising, but they've been insolvent since 29-Mar, and they are still up. The liquidation letter was dated just a week after that.