We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sleeper trains to edinburgh

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
sleeper trains to edinburgh

My 18-year old daughter and her girlfriend (also 18) are planning to travel London to Edinburgh on the sleeper train in a reclining seat. Does anyone have info re whether it would be safe for them? I've heard stories (about other places) where sleeping people have been molested or had their luggage stolen, but I don't know if it has been exaggerated. Also, the train is scheduled to arrive at 7.15am and they have a tour booked (leaving from a place 10 minutes from the station) at 8.30am - so, are the trains generally on time or are we asking for trouble?

Hope someone can help with some info.

glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,070 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sleeper trains to edinburgh

News to me! I have never heard of anyone being in danger on a British train and most are fitted with CCTV nowadays

The train travels through the night where the only other traffic is freight trains so is unlikely to suffer any delays.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sleeper trains to edinburgh

You dont say when they are going but if they can book far enough in advance, for a trivial difference in cost over seats, they can get a compartment with two bunk beds, far more preferable on all sorts of counts.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: sleeper trains to edinburgh

Are there actually reclining seats on this train or are they the normal standard ones?

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,606 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sleeper trains to edinburgh

They are reclining seats with loads of space. You'd pay a fortune for them if it was a plane.

(Not that I've ever been in one - just been nosey when walking to and from my nice bunk!).

Would agree that the train it's a perfectly safe option. There are plenty staff on that train, for one thing.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: sleeper trains to edinburgh

There are staff plus a lounge car on the night trains to Scotland and you don't need to worry about safety. These trains make infrequent stops and with advent of mobile phones the transport police would be waiting at the station long before any troublemakers could get off; result - troublemakers leave these trains well alone!

There is lots of 'padding' in the timetable for these night trains and arrival has never been later than 'on time' in the dozen or so times I've used this service in the past few years. Arrival time is often early, recently by as much as 45min on one of my recent trips.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sleeper trains to edinburgh

Thanks to all for your replies. Joeintheuk, the difference in price for a recliner or a berth - with the best deals we can find - is just over 100 pounds more for the berths. The girls are on a fairly tight budget, of course, so with the reassuring info I've had from the posts we'll book the recliner seats. Personally I would go for a berth but I'm old(er) and like my comforts; they're young and, as safety doesn't seem to be an issue, they'll cope!!

Thanks again to all.

7. Re: sleeper trains to edinburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2010, 06:48