We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation Questions Airport and Tattoo

bedford
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation Questions Airport and Tattoo

I need to get from the airport to the Novotel Edinburgh Centre hotel? I have found private drivers for 85.00 USD...do you know how much just a taxi would be? Or a suggested cheaper route for two of us?

Next...what is the best way to get to the Tattoo. We have tickets for the 25th but wasn't sure if we should just taxi it or how to get there. I checked to see if any hotels would offer a shuttle, but they don't.

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,302 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation Questions Airport and Tattoo

A taxi should cost about £20 and will be readily available when you come out of the terminal building.Just follow the signs !

Its really well organised.

I am not sure at all of the location of your hotel but something i noticed about our recent trip to Edinburgh is that its so easy to get around on foot.This may not be an option for you due to your hotels location.Taxis are not expensive

While you are there if you haven't already added the Royal Yacht on your list of "things to see" i highly recommend it.

www.royalyachtbritannia.co.uk

Edited: 07 May 2010, 14:19
glasgow scotland
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
10,658 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation Questions Airport and Tattoo

$85!! That's £59! What are they picking you up in, a Rolls Royce? a regular Taxi right outside the terminal front door will cost no more than £25 MAX!

The Tattoo is held on the Castle Esplanade which is walkable, but by all means if you want a taxi it will only be a few pounds.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation Questions Airport and Tattoo

Not worth paying $85???!!! (which frankly sounds like a complete rip off) As said a taxi will cost around £25 max. and even if you get held up in a little traffic it will still be a lot less than $85.

Your hotel is about 10 minutes walk from the Castle if you go the back way. Best to ask for directions at the hotel. You may even spot the Castle anyway as it is really high up:-)

walkit.com might be helpful with directions. Just put in postcode of hotel as starting point and Edinburgh Castle as destination.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,750 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation Questions Airport and Tattoo

I'm guessing if you were even considering paying $85 for a car service then this option probably won't suit you, but I'll provide the information anyway, as you asked for cheaper options:

The number 35 local service bus will take you from the door of the airport to (very nearly) the door of your hotel. It will take 45 minutes to do so, but it will only cost you £1.20 each. If you do go for this option you will need the exact fare, which can be a problem for arriving tourists.

I would definitely walk to the Tattoo from your hotel. It's not very far, but it is hilly (being Edinburgh).

bedford
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation Questions Airport and Tattoo

you guys are awesome...Taxi should be perfect.

Yes...walking is not good..due to walker (not good health)......

Thanks again..and I wil check the link for the yacht.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation Questions Airport and Tattoo

In that case a taxi to the Castle WILL be needed. Quite a lot of the roads near the Castle are cobbled and some pavements(sidewalks!) are narrow and will be very crowded. Might be worth asking the reception staff at the hotel to book a taxi for you and explain that you will need to be dropped off as close as possible because I think there are usually road closures near the Castle when the Tattoo is on.

bedford
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation Questions Airport and Tattoo

Great idea..thank you!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
99 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation Questions Airport and Tattoo

I have seen long queues to get into the Tattoo which go down the Royal Mile so you may find yourselves in a queue which would require you to stand for some time and walk up the steep, cobbled streets. I imagine they have arrangements for those with mobility problems.

I've not actually been, just seen the queues, so perhaps someone with more experience might post and give a bit more information. I just thought it was worth highlighting the possibility to you.

Jo

9. Re: Transportation Questions Airport and Tattoo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2010, 04:18