We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Really good restaurants and bars near Princes Street

England
Level Contributor
231 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Really good restaurants and bars near Princes Street

Hi there, can you reccoemnd some really good restaurants and bars near Princes Street please or in the West End. I have booked Howies for Sat night...is that a good one? We are in Edinburgh for 6 nights....

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,824 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Really good restaurants and bars near Princes Street

Howies are are a small local chain with a good reputation. I'm guessing you have booked Waterloo Place. Never been to that restaurant but as a business they are OK.

Where is Uncle Gus? He normally pops up with some good ideas.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,814 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Really good restaurants and bars near Princes Street

The obvious place to look for restaurants is the link to restaurants on the left of this page. Gives you various options especially if you want specific cuisine.

As for Howies - they have 4 Edinburgh restaurants including one in the West End which is the opposite end of Princes Street from Waterloo Place, so check which one you have booked

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,824 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Really good restaurants and bars near Princes Street

Ha!, Alanrow is correct I'd forgotten that they have a restaurant in Alva Street. I've only been to the Burnstfield and Victoria Street restauants.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,849 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Really good restaurants and bars near Princes Street

Hi. Howies is nice and can be good value for money, although it isn't the most adventerous of menus. It depends what sort of cuisine you like; there is a plethora of choices around Princes st.

My personal recommendations would be:

- TexMex2, on thistle st. Hidden away but does cheap authentic Mexican food and has a good range of frozen margaritas!

- the Mussel Inn. Delicious mussels and seafood, good value for money and a bright, vibrant little restaurant. On rose st.

- Centotre. On George st. Good italian food in an impressive georgian-style building. Good value for George St.

- Cafe Andaluz. Also George st. Tapas bar that does good, interesting dishes. Lovely interior design and bigger portions than your average tapas bar!

There really is a lot to choose from in that area, i'm sure you'll find some great places :-)

Unknown
Level Contributor
502 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Really good restaurants and bars near Princes Street

I love Tiger Lily, Caffe Centro (not to be confused with Centotre) and for Chinese, Saigon Saigon.

Perth, United...
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Really good restaurants and bars near Princes Street

Another vote for Cafe Andaluz - food was delicious and a nice atmosphere.

I was at Whighams recently and really enjoyed the food and the atmosphere..

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
71 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Really good restaurants and bars near Princes Street

I'd say Howies was more cheap and cheerful rather than really good. It will provide an ok meal and the others mentioned will be similarly priced.

If you are looking for really good you might need to push the boat out and Edinburgh has plenty to fit that!

George St has nice designed bars at high prices, more traditional and better atmosphere would be Grassmarket or Stockbridge.

8. Re: Really good restaurants and bars near Princes Street

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2010, 05:18