We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Somewhere to stop, stroll and eat north of forth road bridge

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Barrow-in-Furness...
Level Contributor
79 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Somewhere to stop, stroll and eat north of forth road bridge

I'm looking to drive across the forth road bridge while in Edinburgh to show my children the rail bridge.

Can anyone recommend a family friendly cafe, pub or chippy or a nice location for us to visit for an hour or two before our return into Edinburgh for the evening?

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,757 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Somewhere to stop, stroll and eat north of forth road bridge

How about a visit to Deep Sea World - they have an exhibition about the Forth Rail Bridge. ££ admission charge though. 10% discount if you book online.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
539 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Somewhere to stop, stroll and eat north of forth road bridge

South Queensferry has a couple of great places to eat/drink where you get splendid views of the bridges.

You could go over the bridge and come back and eat here.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Somewhere to stop, stroll and eat north of forth road bridge

There is a hotel, The Queensferry Hotel, just across the bridge to the North. It has a restaurant (I think called The North Shore). It is in a very picturesque spot, and the views are amazing. It offers a fairly standard menu, the food isn't fantastic, and it (tries at least) to be quite smart. Depending on the age of your children it may/may not be suitable.

There is a restaurant in North Queensferry called The Wee Restaurant, that gets amazing reviews (I've not been there myself), but again, it is probably only suitable for older children. http://www.theweerestaurant.co.uk/

Otherwise I'd agree that there may be more choice in South Queensferry.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,561 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Somewhere to stop, stroll and eat north of forth road bridge

Another vote for only going as far as South Queensferry. It's the better view (in my opinion, of course) of both bridges. You really sense the size and grandeur of the Forth Bridge (to give the rail bridge its correct name!).

And there's a couple of really nice places right on the front. The Hawes Inn springs immediately to mind - I'm pretty sure they must be child-friendly.

Having said all of that, the suggestion of Deep Sea World is also a good one, if that grabs your fancy for a longer day out.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,416 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Somewhere to stop, stroll and eat north of forth road bridge

If it's a nice day you could cross the river and follow the coast road east for a few miles to Aberdour to visit Silver Sands beach. It's a nice beach for paddling or playing with a bucket and spade.

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
8,946 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Somewhere to stop, stroll and eat north of forth road bridge

You get an amazing view of the bridges from South Queensferry and the village is charming. We stayed at The Hawes Inn which is right under the rail bridge and it is child friendly. The food and menus look amazing and the Inn itself is VERY old with loads of historical bits and pieces to read and keep you amused. I think there is even a coastal path which runs from here too...

Woody x

Northants
Destination Expert
for Rovinj, Sissi
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Somewhere to stop, stroll and eat north of forth road bridge

Anstruther is a nice place for a wander and www.anstrutherfishbar.co.uk wins awards almost every year.

I'm sure your kids will love it!

Fife, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
8,946 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Somewhere to stop, stroll and eat north of forth road bridge

I would second Tynecastles idea of Anstruther if you get a nice day - it is lovely and the fish and chips are top notch

W x

9. Re: Somewhere to stop, stroll and eat north of forth road bridge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2010, 05:17