We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Edinburgh and transportation

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
165 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Edinburgh and transportation

I'm pretty sure I will have to take the bus from the airport to the main part of Edinburgh (I'm staying near Donaldson's College). My question is, do they sell the bus tickets at the airport? Also, are there different bus companies? Do they sell tickets for a week at a time? I won't be doing the car hire so I'm just going to get around on the bus.

Thank you!

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Edinburgh and transportation

Literally outside the airport arrivals there is a bus stop with the airport bus. The bus runs very regularly. It is one of the first things you will see when you leave arrivals at Edinburgh Airport. There is a little window where you can buy the ticket or you can purchase it on the bus itself.

The bus is the double-decker type. It costs about £2.00 (GBP) from memory.

The bus runs to Waverley Bridge (location of the Central Bus Station) and Waverley Railway Station but there are lots of other places you can get on or off on the way.

Edited: 07 June 2010, 18:07
Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Edinburgh and transportation

Here's the website for the Airlink bus:

http://www.flybybus.com/

It's £3.50 single or £6.00 for an open return. You will probably want to get off at the "Wester Coates" stop. They generally announce the stops on this bus, but you can always ask the driver.

For getting around in town, the simplest way is to buy a day ticket each day. They are £3.00 for unlimited travel on Lothian Buses - just buy your ticket on the first bus you board that day. You need the exact money. (An ordinary single ticket is a flat fare £1.20 per journey.)

Lothian Buses website: www.lothianbuses.com

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,383 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Edinburgh and transportation

OP would do better taking the airport bus to Wester Coates as that's where they are staying

http://www.flybybus.com/route-map.html

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Edinburgh and transportation

<OP would do better taking the airport bus to Wester Coates as that's where they are staying>

Thought that was what I suggested......

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
165 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Edinburgh and transportation

Thank you all so much!!!! This is exactly the info I was looking for. =)

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,383 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Edinburgh and transportation

<<< Thought that was what I suggested...... >>>

I posted, went to another tab, came back and it hadn't posted, so I reposted without refreshing OP

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Edinburgh and transportation

Ah, I see. I thought you might have misread that I'd gone with my usual recommendation of the Number 35!

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
165 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Edinburgh and transportation

I've added all this info into my Blackberry so I can have it when I get to the airport and beyond. I really appreciate everyone being so helpful!

9. Re: Edinburgh and transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2010, 07:20